CLA -76 vs UA LA2A

PifferyGoodz

Your thoughts on which compressor has a better after touch on your songs.

---------- Post added at 02:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 AM ----------

I personally like the warmth and the fatness the la2a delivers on vocals, and if gives a extra thump on certain kicks drums when applied correctly, but on the other hand the CLA- 76 makes vocals sound even better when you run it thru for a final mix. thoughts?

there no hype when your dealing with facts especially sound! when you add either one to and mix you can hear a difference instantly. So it make no make it but it can help craft it to what you want

---------- Post added at 02:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 PM ----------

Same hear bro I switch I'm between both when the opportunity is available. but with modern day technology the software is sounding very very close the hardware counterpart.

---------- Post added at 02:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 PM ----------

the drums on this tracc was beefed up using the la2a https://soundcloud.com/pifferygoodz/father?in=pifferygoodz/sets/blasphemy2

there no hype when your dealing with facts especially sound! when you add either one to and mix you can hear a difference instantly. So it make no make it but it can help craft it to what you want

---------- Post added at 02:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 PM ----------

Same hear bro I switch I'm between both when the opportunity is available. but with modern day technology the software is sounding very very close the hardware counterpart.

---------- Post added at 02:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 PM ----------

the drums on this tracc was beefed up using the la2a https://soundcloud.com/pifferygoodz/father?in=pifferygoodz/sets/blasphemy2

Crazy Right?! Your mixing was superb btw on that track... Everything sat so nicely. but does how does my drums sound on this one? I used FL compressor Is it too much or should I dumb it down MP3 Player SoundClick

Last edited:
im digging the tracc a lot, now your overheads I would bring those down because its sounds like a lot going with the hi hats an rides and remember we want someone to eventually lay vocals on the record. so I would drop em by like 3db and bring that lead rhodes up (That melody is sicc) out side that just go for a faster attack on the compressor for the drums and the release seems fine, I listened to the whole record. great work

Cool glad you liked it and thanks for the info btw, Your mix sat waaaay too well so I had to ask lol. Never really got how compression worked fully I just used it..... Im sure ill understand by the next hour tho. Thanks bro.

^it's reeaallly important to understand how something works if you're using it daily. It helps being able to use the tools properly... (ie.. not hammering with a screwdriver).

The biggest thing, I believe, is to fully understand what's wrong with your sound (which is not easy to do).... that way you can make better mixing decisions about what needs to be done and what tool should perform the task.

---------- Post added at 07:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 AM ----------

Try to figure out why you feel his sits in the mix moreso than yours.... the equipment isn't truly what does it... any compressor can help vocals sit in the mix (maybe some better than others sure.... you'd expect better results from higher priced equipment).... but the inexpensive/free/virtual stuff should not be holding you back from getting your music sounding good.

absolutely but that comes with time and proper ear training. to know what sounds good and what sounds bad. im was very shocked to find this out but theirs a large amount of new producers and engineers that don't know what a distorted record sounds like.

^true indeed. 100% agree.

I was one of them. It took me forever to figure out what sounded bad. And I had no idea my music was clipping when I first started out. All I knew was that it didn't sound how I imagined it to sound... especially when going to different playback mediums.

I go over that hump by 1) being a student and being overally critical of what I liked about other songs, and what i didn't like about mine, 2) reading posts from other people having problems mixes and analyzing the advice, and practicing on my own music (i really went deep on the search button here)... and 3) understanding that my acoustics were also to blame for me not hearing the issues b/c my monitors were bass-heavy & inaccurate and my room is terrible. Had to do a lot of back n forth b/t studio and car until I got new monitors.

But yeah... I had no freakin idea I was distorting. Someone here had to blatantly tell me my mix sucked before I stopped and re-evaluated lol. very thankful for that.

I totally agree, I had ruin some good projects to really get a clear understanding on how things should sound. and why clipping is bad I feel a lot of the issues I was having early in career stemmed from not getting clear explanations on the, do's and don't' EX( everyone tells you not to do something but don't deliver an clear explanation on why you shouldn't be doing that). but the most important thing about sound like you said, is having the proper acoustics and making sure your recording is as clean and clear as possible. and everything else after that is just a bonus

Back