Can Some 1 Break Down This EQ Stuff!

Syderbomb

Since I feel that my beats are getting better Ive been working more on the mixes of my beats. Ive been reading up on EQin and Im a little lost. I have a few diffrent EQ's I can use I mostly use the Parametric EQ in FL5 but I have others ones from Cakewalk Home Studio 2004 and the Eq's from Adobe Audition 1.5 so the Eq's is not a problem its that when I read discriptions on what frequencies instruments should be Eqed to Im not sure what EQ to use nor do I understand what is really ment by the discription. For example could some one break this down for to better understand what is being said and what EQ to use and how.

Kick-2.5kHz-slap-50-80Hz-punch and bottom-100hZ body
-OR-
Electric Guitar- 50Hz-high pass filter to cut rumble 240Hz-low Body-400-500Hz-body 2.5kHz-cry/sustain 5kHz low pass filter

Can someone plase help me make some sense of this.

i would advise not to associate specific frequencies with "punch", "brightness", "muddiness", etc...

just get a sense of what these frequencies feel like in your ear.

a big thing with me is: when in doubt, turn it down. eq'ing by means of suppressing frequencies is often way more effective than boosting frequencies.

i just posted in your other thread on this subject. theres a link to a free spectral analysis tool. that alone will teach you a lot.

peace.

This is the second time I have read recommendations on ignoring relatives that would be, "punch, brightness and muddiness". How can anyone say that? That is like saying ignore those music scales and just pound on the keys until something good comes out.

If you want to be serious about being an engineer, even if it is for your own music, then you need to be serious about the art. And that means knowing the frequency ranges of the instruments you are dealing with.

People need to stop looking at drums as a single instrument. They are a multitude of instruments combined into a "kit". You absolutely have to have, at least a basic concept of the freqs that each of those instruments in the kit fall in to.

Take the kick drum. It sounds simple but there are actually two predominants in the kick. The sound of the drum and the beater that makes the kick sound.

Do you want more beater and less kick? Or no beater and all kick. Or slight beater and a lot of kick? Those two things that make the total kick sound have distinct freq ranges, and to get to where you want to be, it is essential to at least understand they occupy seperate freq ranges.

A lot of things lie in the 400 Hz range. 440 is the A note where lot of music lies. So let the drums and bass become predominant in that area along with the singer and guitars and you just end up with a lot of mud.

The human voice might sing an A at 440 but there are a lot of harmonics in the voice above that range that might be boosted to make the singer stand out a little more.

It is VERY important to understand the range and harmonics of every instrument. I am not saying you have to memorize those ranges but just knowing they exist and how they relate to mixing in general is the basic foundation to being a good Engineer.

Or, be lazy and say that is too much to understand and just keep on twisting those knobs. Eventually something is going to sound right.... If you are lucky.

Tim's touched on some good points there.

Whereas frequency ranges of instruments overlap, itis important to have a rudimentary understanding of certain frequency ranges for certain instruments

However, what is even more important, and one that Tim has touched on, is the fundamental frequency and it's harmonics.

Again, too big a subject to get into now, but important nonetheless.

There are various ways to EQ.... physically - by using outboard gear or your mixer's EQ - or "virtually" - using s/w plug-ins. There are also different places to be applying EQ in the recording process - during tracking, during mixing, and during mastering.
Here are some guidelines to follow to help narrow down the when/where.....

The addition of EQ into the signal chain always results in "some" compromise of the waveform by introducing phase-shifts (time-based artifacts that can results in comb-filtering of the waveform) - especially when boosting frequencies. Cutting frequencies can result in less of these artifacts, so it is generally advisable to apply EQ by cutting frequencies you don't want, rather than boosting the ones you want to enhance - a practice known as subtractive EQ. The quality of the EQ itself also dictates the artifacts - cheap EQ gear means more artifacts, mastering-grade EQ means significantly less (for comparison, a Weiss EQ-1 used by mastering houses runs about $5500 US)...

So, using EQ to shape sound is a bit of a compromise - yes, it changes the signal, but it introduces "some" small signal degradation.... SO - the obvious solution is DON'T USE IT --- er, at least, not until absolutely necessary. "But wait...", you say, "I NEED it, my guitar/bass/drums don't have THAT sound..."

Well ok... for line-level instruments such as synths, you certainly can use EQ to shape the sound.... but for mic'd sources, it's much better to use mic selection and mic placement to get the sound you're after, rather than reaching for the EQ knobs.... for example, don't brighten an amp by boosting your hi-shelf EQ, change amp settings, change guitar PUPs, change amps, move that mic closer to the center of the cone... if you're not getting the sound you want, maybe you're using the wrong instrument/amp combination!

Another point to keep in mind - try to get your tracks sounding the way you want DURING tracking - if the tracks "to tape" are sounding the way you want them, then selecting sounds during overdubs become much easier. And even better, during the MIXING phase, you'll find your tracks will blend better (since you've already blended them correctly in the tracking process!) Best guideline to follow: never "fix it in the mix" - fix it NOW - move a mic, change the mic, change the source, move the source, switch rooms. If none of these work, THEN reach for EQ!

During mixing - if you've done your tracking homework, there should be less work needed in getting the tracks to fit, since you've taken so much care during the tracking process. But very likely, there are still some tweaks you'd want to make.... I strongly suggest you adopt the subtractive EQ approach - cut instead of boost. If there's too little highs, remove some mids or bass to shape it. This does two things - minimizes phase-related artifacts, and more importantly, reduces unnecessary signal level that will eat into your mixer's headroom (since cutting will reduce the amount of frequency "space" a waveform will take up.)

The last place for EQ - mastering - this phase of the production is for polish. Unless there's a need for a rescue operation, you're going to see very small applications of EQ - maybe 1-2db at most, applied in a range of small frequency increments rather than a cut/boost at a single frequency.... again, a subtractive EQ strategy is adopted as a preference. Generally, if you have to add a lot of EQ during mastering, something else was wrong during the tracking and/or mixing stages - could be a problem with the room acoustics or your monitoring chain.......

The other point to remember about mastering - it's usually beneficial to let someone else's ears judge the sound of your mix, so it's actually an extremely good idea to take it outside for mastering.

Of course, it all depends on the seriousness of the product involved -- if the project is simply for your own enjoyment and you plan on giving a few copies to some friends, fine - go the Do-It-Yourself route... if it's a more serious project to the point of shopping it around or even selling it outright, DIY mastering most-definitely will not cut it!

NOTE THAT THE ABOVE POST CONTAINS THE ARTICLE "EQ? When?? How???" WRITTEN BY BRUCE VALERIANI AT BLUE BEAR SOUND. COPYRIGHT 2003.

In the future, when quoting copywritten articles, the proper credit/references is required to be posted as well, or better yet, post a link to the article on my studio site directly.

Thank you.

Stréetwíze Productnz said:
There are various ways to EQ.... physically - by using outboard gear or your mixer's EQ - or "virtually" - using s/w plug-ins. There are also different....

{snipped}

... if it's a more serious project to the point of shopping it around or even selling it outright, DIY mastering most-definitely will not cut it!

Last edited:
Sorry, i didn't think to put the credit the post. It is, as said above, written by Bruce Valeriani.

Least i know for next time.

Back