Best mid-budget reverb: Lexicon MPX-550/MPX-1 vs. Kurzweil Rumour ?

THM

I'd need especially longer reverbs (hall/cathedral/plate/canyon/...) for use with my Dotcom modular system. I own the Dotcom Q115 spring reverb but that's only good for short reverbs...
I'd like to go the Lexicon way.
Most interesting one pricewise is a new MX-200, or a 2nd hand MPX-550 or MPX-1.
Does anybody know what the current 2nd hand prices are for an MPX-550 ? I saw one on Ebay for 309 EUR "new", but I thought they were not made anymore ?

And the most important thing: why does an MX-200 cost less ?
Are there important things not present in the MX-200 while they do in the MPX-series ?

If anybody has experience with these, or knows what the differences are, please let me know.
I checked the specifications sheet of each in a hurry, but couldn't aware many differences. Or am I wrong ?

Most important for me is the quality of (long) reverbs, and maybe the dual engine - but all three of MX-200/MPX-550/MPX-1 have this...

=> And what about the reverb sound quality of the Kurzweil Rumour ?

Help... :confused: :confused: :confused:

Last edited:
best lexicon reverb is still the PCM91 or PCM70 or the 300L (last 2 are not made anymore) but they are very expensive (2500$ of more). You also got the multichannel systems like the 960 and the 480 (also not made anymore) but then you spent a fortune. From those you mention i would take the MPX1, the 200 is not good, and the 550 and 110 are not special if you know the other lexicons.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply !
The PCM-series and higher are currently - unfortunately - out of my budget, but I found still an outsider: the Kurzweil Rumour.
I checked the www and found nothing but good comments on it, many people saying it's way better sounding than e.g. the MPX-1 (while the latter is more expensive...) - any experiences with the Kurzweil Rumour ?

Thanks for the replies guys !! :cheers:
One more question about the Kurzweil Rumour: do I understand it correct that you can only use the fx one by one (I mean no routing of e.g. delay and reverb) ?
Or are there routing possibilities ? :confused:

Last edited:
THM said:
Thanks for the replies guys !! :cheers:
One more question about the Kurzweil Rumour: do I understand it correct that you can only use the fx one by one (I mean no routing of e.g. delay and reverb) ?
Or are there routing possibilities ? :confused:
I'm not sure, but that may be true.... to get full routing (and up to 8 mono/4 stereo effects at one time) you'd need to get the Kurzweil KSP-8....

The Rumour uses the same DSP as the flagship KSP-8, but naturally has fewer features/functionality/routing....

Actually I'd only want these two simple routings :

IN => delay => reverb => OUT

and

IN => chorus => reverb => OUT
( or chorus => delay => OUT )

Are these algorythms perhaps included ?

Last edited:
I did but can I understand under "Delay+Reverb" a real fullworthy delay fx (incl. all parameters) with reverb added ?

OK no need anymore for answering my question.

I've finally got no Lexicon (I did read a few very bad comments in other forums) nor Kurzweil Rumour (out of budget), but I bought a 2nd hand Roland SRV-330 Dimensional Space Reverb. Including a kind of special 3D reverb fx and - obviously - very nice warm long reverbs.
I tried it out and it seems to be exactly what I was looking for...

Thanks anyway for all the input !!

Back