best mic under $200

+48

hi everybody...i am starting my own home studio and funds are getting a little low... it appears that all i can afford is a mic under $200. i will be recording both rock and rap vocals with it and i've checked out these so far:
(RODE NT1-A), (AKG C 2000 B/H100), (AUDIO-TECHNICA AT3035). they are all under $200 but i was wondering if there is a better choice out there...

been using the mxl 900 for 7 months and it rocks.

both for guitar, vocals or pan flutes.

Rode NT1-A. It performs well over it's price; worth about $600 to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
that 3035 is a great mic i have it and really enjoy it. i hope you plan on purchasing a decent pre amp along with it...

What do experienced ppl think, can you get good recordings w/a $200 mic?

I'm looking at the Apex 460. Anyone got any opinions on that? I know I made a comment in another thread about it, but this is the thread I'm looking for. Best home studio mic for under $200 (USD). I'm basically looking at the Behringer and the Apex.

The AT 3035 is nice man we used it for a year till we bought a Octava mic. The AT was well worth the money and for the price its a steal...1ne

I have an Akg 2000b and i wouldnt suggest it for rap vocals for sure, its better with instruments really

I dont know about the apex you are talking about but i also own an Apex 420 and it performs really well, id give it a thumbs up if anyone asked me about it

I know this isn't under $200 but, is the AKG 3000B still doing it's thing in the studio. I know that's all I ever see in the majority of the studios I've been. For about $100 extra, you could pick one up.

Yo truthfully i went to same ash an got my COndenser mic for 89.99 , lol and it was on Sale so i paid 50 somin roughly
and truthfully it sound pretty good

i've heard good things about the m-audio nova and solaris mics. from what i hear they have a great freq range at an entry level price. i saw the nova for like $100 on sale at guitar center. the solaris is an upgraded model with a few more features and slighty extended range. it runs for $249.00 i think, don't quote me though.

Back