Best mic for This price range

P

PushinKeys

IM recording RnB/Pop VOCALS into an M-audio DMP3 into an Mbox pro..

Blue BLueBird
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Blue-Bluebird-Large-Diaphragm-Cardioid-Condenser-Microphone-102918877-i1127341.gc

Rode NT1-A
http://www.guitarcenter.com/R0DE-NT1-A-Anniversary-Model-Microphone-102019312-i1126925.gc

Rode NT1000
http://www.guitarcenter.com/R0DE-NT1000-Microphone-271576-i1126912.gc

Or any other mics u recommend for under that $400 Range

I was also thinking about saving a little more and getting the Blue Baby Bottle??? Ive heard good things about it

PLease expert advice only.. tHANKS YALL

A Rode NT2 hasn't failed me so far. I don't know about the NT2A though so chances are you'd likely have to find one used.

Compared to an Neumann TLM 103, it's much more predictable and more defined in the high end. There are things the 103 kills the NT2 on but for singers in the mid to higher range, male and female, the NT2 recordings usually fit into the mix without a hitch.

Compared to the MXL990, the MXL990 has decent low-end response but not-so-good definition in the high end. I'd rather use the MXL990 and 103 to capture the room/overall sound of a drum kit sound rather than vocals.

If the BlueBird sounds good on you're voice, I would get it. The NT1 is more versatile and a little bit quieter but Blue mics have a particularly fine top end.

MASSIVE Mastering said:
Word (to the peeps).

I'd almost say you'd be a fool to not at least try the SM7b before settling.

Ive read some reviews on GC.com and other sites and alot of them say its for rock, or rap due to its good deep end. Remember Im doin RNB and pop what role with this play???

PushinKeys said:
Remember Im doin RNB and pop what role with this play???

I must be suffering from lisdextia. I swear your OP said Rap vocals.

I have the Rode NT1000 and love it for rap vocals. It is an honest mic but requires some mic technique/positioning skills to get the best results from it. I run it into a GT brick but have used it in the past with the Dmp3 with OK results.

It is best IMO on deep male rap vocals but also works on anyone who sounds 'hard'. For RnB, I don't like this mic though. It's too harsh and brittle IMO for that purpose. The harsh brittleness plus clarity work well for Rap when you want that hardness, but for RnB, I want smooth. In this price range, I prefer the ADK mics, like the Hamburg, for tenor or alto male/female RnB singers. I haven't tried the sm7b personally but seems to have a good rep in diverse circles.

hope this helps

peace

SO...... Which is the best for RNB vocals. Im not interested in rap sound

it's not the mic that defines the style its the vocalist. The mic should compliment and capture the sound as if you were sitting in the same room. Massive can give better imput on that though. Honestly I like the Blue Baby Bottle really is a great sounding mic although I've only used it once on a small project. Sounded great though, just make sure you have a good pre to run your mic through.

slvicick said:
how you gonna amplify the signal?

BECAUSE OF ITS UNIQUE CABLES WHICH HAS 5 PINS VS THE NORMAL 3 IT COMES WITH ITS OWN PLUS ITS A TUBE MIC THE TUBE IS IN THE MIC IT SELF VS OTHER MICS THAT REQUIRE A TUBE PRE.

Sorry for the CAPS i forget to turn it off. Also i compare this mic at GC to audio technika (if i spelled it right) blue mics and m-audio sputnik. tops them all pluss you save money by not purchasing a tube pre which can boost your budget out the window.

Let me just tell you i baught the AKG 200 AND A Pre Sonus MIC PRE for about 300. the CAD is high end for 450 you cant beat it. every one at GC recomended it. now if you have a thin voice you might want to go with a small condencer mic this is a large condencer mic.

BECAUSE OF ITS UNIQUE CABLES WHICH HAS 5 PINS VS THE NORMAL 3 IT COMES WITH ITS OWN PLUS ITS A TUBE MIC THE TUBE IS IN THE MIC IT SELF VS OTHER MICS THAT REQUIRE A TUBE PRE.
That makes about as much sense as my ex-girlfriend after she downed a half bottle of brandy.

* You don't need a tube mic (or especially a "toob" preamp) for "warm" vocals...
* The extra two pins are power. They have absolutely nothing to do with the sound.
* When everyone at GC recommends something, get something else.
* If you have a thin voice, using a SDC isn't going to necessarily help anything.
* You still need a preamp (do you actually *have* this mic?). The PSU doesn't amplify the signal to line level - It supplies power to the tube stage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back