Basic Guide to Mixing: Dynamics Processors PART 2

hamstank

Hi all! Sorry it's been so long, but here's part 2 to the Dynamics Processors guide. There's also a little bit about routing. Again, this is based in Pro Tools for the most part but the concepts and ideas are applicable in any DAW. You can find part 1 here!
Other Guides:
EQ
Reverb
Delay, Chorus, Flanging, etc.

Lesson 4: EQ and Dynamics (Continued)

Cool Techniques with EQ and Dynamics

• Using Gates/Expanders for Emphasis
    • Gates and expanders can be used to emphasize rhythmic content of a signal.
      • Set threshold so that only the peaks of the signal exceed the threshold and then set gate/expander so that it reduces the rest of the signal. Goal is to increase the distance between the peaks and the rest of the signal. Example gate for drum overheads:
CsgW7n8FH7DD6dpFWRlZi67ixgvmIJqJw13VfmMrf4YwuXKcwm93hlhXGXucTTI2tuLRBBkIWqTDRo3PTvPLLkt0cGQipqovW2b66hc0Bf9qUaZ8uz2SgQQ6XhFQGaoDuHsp-EdY_05A63Vh

• Over-Compression
    • Heavily compressing a track can be an effective way to help it sit better in the mix. For a signal with bright, loud transients, this is a good way to get it to take a step back in the mix and blend better with other elements.
    • This is achieved by low threshold, higher ratio, and fast attack (gives a “smooth over” effect). Example on a drum loop:
8UHRcV31c6K5U9I9gZejHTwC0N8qWN9qIwjuD_EJe3TmEkK3lpz94Jsdk568hk7UxKLFph1So3g8IzMFGzrL3mjESaqjtFrwyWBbuXPV_x3IXJsuVKZX-N6FQ3lEgLau1D2IeAdKGCuiGKOe

• De-Esser
    • De-Esser is a compressor specifically tuned to respond to certain frequencies, usually the sibilant frequencies between 6 kHz and 8 kHz.
4Zu9S6MoxYDNRaKm743gudKVZxs6dk-Q_eI7gavGawrPnWpk-P_m3ouLxcTiFNryu0X_svpxf-XNCYLP8x05zeTEuLLlsAgq9oCsE75v27pvPAELEfXtKfWLxZfJxBfg75QG6GMT6UVxRbnj
Frequency: center of key signal filter Range: max amount of gain reduction HF Only: only compress HF
Subgroups
  • Buses
    • Bus: internal signal path from one point of a session to another
      • Can assign the output of a track to a bus or set up a send to a bus
      • For example, you would like to make EQ changes to the whole drum section. You would set up the output to a specific bus then create an Aux track and have the input be the outputs for the drums.
        • CMND + click on the solo button on the aux track puts it in solo safe mode. This way, just solo-ing a track going to an aux would make it soloed so you would not have to solo the individual track and the aux in order to get a soloed sound.
        • Here is good for gentle EQ and gentle compression
    • Externally Keying Dynamics Processors (sidechaining)
      • One signal would go through the audio path but another signal acts as the key signal that triggers the detector
      • Send to a mono bus, do not use master output
      • Example: use snare signal to control gate on overheads to give more groove
        • Typically only use 2 to 3 dB of gain reduction on gate for this instance.
      • Example: put gate on bass drum with kick as the trigger, see screenshot:
sJfYXsitVVfsTEFOdgWMQceoPcAXBGSEhPaEX6XOixiqBJCxNd5jI-IAsj9HEtDEJRIB24MZAxVhxmsp7kjkzNRoU5vxPBqPmZk_WpVOQ5oiMUDbpTdACVl4eRatx1kux9qUsBhNAbbyWMXu

• Can also use this technique to make a sine wave kick drum for hip-hop or use this in more subtle ways to give kick drum more tone
    • Open signal generator on an Aux track followed by a gate. Have kick/snare trigger the gate open. Either have high frequency white noise (for snares) or low frequency sine (for kick).
  • Keyed Compressors
    • With a gate, the bass is slightly louder on each kick strike while a compressor does the opposite.
      • With a very fast attack and release, the bass gets slightly compressed (just a few dB gain reduction) on each kick strike. This would quickly push the bass out of the way so that the kick attack can cut through the mix a little better, but it recovers quickly so that there is still good sustain from the bass note.
    • VERY GOOD to have vocals trigger compressors on loud tracks in the mix that are in the way of the vocals.
  • Latency
    • Some plug-ins (Dyn3 Expander/Gate, Eleven Free, Maxim, Pitch II) cause a delay so that incoming audio signal reaches detector before the same audio passes through audio.
    • You can go to View/Mix Window Views/Delay Compensation to see this delay and click “Options” and check delay compensation to have pro tools automatically adjust.
      • CMND click the volume parameter below the fader in the mix window in order to see the latency.
      • Add time adjuster to all tracks that have a delay LESS than the longest delay. EXCLUDE Aux track because they read off of the original track.

NsML-JrnxLqKo3x5sNQOHCbydpYOJddZv7gbwtx03k5odhFAMnMPj4tf9AA3_qItUXnjezNBnIKYOen6s_TArSwblmvQQp0zeU33jSEUndOB7ikhs5AwH1xuo5Vq5RMK6b0HX3jLHMHcP-ON
U41ZPygdFXIIKQ1I4bvT1Q-il_dNoIN14dJdrNsFBT8cv-9Hogz6-4eG420UKJYFYkXLsYwgKEAtl4PQdJOnp99rHw2TS3xw--51uZDt4VZp-r9KOYON7G-m0XMWtud8au_C7p1Lka2twSOi

Last edited:
Though I wouldn't object to them giving me money :cool:, I'm just looking to help out fellow musicians and trying to pass on knowledge I wish I had gotten sooner! Thanks for the kind words!

Back