Autotune as a learning tool....

DaGSpotSoldier

11B US Army
This if for those who are interested.
If not, keep coasting.....
Read whole post before commenting....
Please excuse any misspelled words, or grammar errors....
Its not really a big deal...

As from one of my websites:
http://dozerbeatz.tripod.com/autotunelive/

FREE Realtime Autotune Video Tutorial
Dowload Link On My Myspace Page
www.myspace.com/dagspotsoldier

If your tryna get that Autotune effect Live. Then this is the video tutorial for you.

I will show you step by step how to setup your Multitrack Recording Program so that you can get Autotune, and other effects, in Realtime. This way you can sing into your microphone and hear the Autotuned vocal in your headphones. Or you could add a touch of reverb to your vocals also...This is for those who do not have hardware or other means, to get effects live. That is what the video shows... NOTHING MORE......

Why would you want to do this????
While listening to your instrumental, and using autotune in realtime/live, you will be able to sing along with the instrumental, in "Key". Dont forget you have to set autotune to the key of the instrumental. Is the instrumental in the key of Aminor, or Gmajor....What key is the instrumental???
If you cannot figure this out yourself, they do have some software that can help. "Mixed In Key"..."MixMeister".....Others.... They are not always 100% accurate as to the key of the song. So sometimes you may have to do 2 things(if you have no music theory knowledge)...

NOTE: For the following instructions...Set loop points and loop playback of a certain timeframe. This will allow you to come up with a vocal melody/riff. Also, we are using Autotune in Automatic Mode, NOT Graphical....

1) The easiest method is to go through each Key selection in Major first, and sing along with the instrumental, until, while singing, everything sounds in key......

OR

2) Come up with a 1 bar vocal riff, sing something that sounds in key to you. Without using autotune in realtime. Just listen to the instrumental, and sing something simple, that sounds allright. Now, enable Autotune as an insert effect on that track, and go through each Key in Major, then Minor.
So for example: You've laid your vocal phrase/riff. Now play back the audio, with Autotune on the track with the vocal.
You will hear autotune correcting the vocal, to the key that you have set. If the key is incorrect, you will hear it(hopefully). It will sound "off". Keep going through each key, listening, until the performance sounds good. When it sounds right, that is the right key. You may have to record about 2 bars of vocals, to get more note variations.

NOTE:enharmoic equivilency....If Cmajor sounds good, then so will Aminor, which is the enharmonic equivilent. Every key has one. GOOGLE IT MY FRIENDS....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enharmonic

TIP: Now, so you know the correct key... Great...
Now do this...We will call this your Rough Draft Vocals Session
For this, you dont have to use your best mic, and its best done in a project studio, so you can sit down in front of your computer screen. Dont worry about audio quality for this part of the process.
In your audio sequencer/recording program..
Create 3 audio tracks.
1 Stereo Track: For Instrumental
2 Mono Tracks: For vocals

On the 2 Mono Tracks, put Autotune Plugin as in insert.
Now, using instructions from the Realtime Autotune video(download link on my myspace homepage), enable 1 of the vocal tracks to monitor your vocals with Autotune in realtime.
Now, you don't have to do the whole performance. Chances are, you don't even have lyrics, or a vocal melody thought of.
So before you actually even start recording, loop playback of the first part. Now sing along with the instrumental, and come up with the first part of your vocal riff. Once you know what you are going to sing....Record that peice.
Then, jump down to the other mono vocal track, and enable that track for live monitoring. Now, during playback, you will hear the first part you just recorded. Simply continue on singing after the first riff has played, to come up with more lyrics and vocal melody. Then once you get something you like. Record that. Continue doing this until you are done.
The goal during this "Rough Draft" recording, is to work your voice and autotune, to sound as smooth as possible. The least amount of erratic pitch(jerkyness/wobbly sound). You will still hear some erratic pitch. If you want to learn how to smooth that out of the "REAL Recording"(below), then that is where my Smooth Autotune video tutorial comes in.

What now???
Well, now its time to listen and listen and listen to what you have done. And if you like it, keep listening, and singing along. This way you will learn the lyrics, and the melody. This way, when its time to record the real performance, you can record more of the "REAL" performance in one go, and with more zest, and actually know your lyrics.

Time to record the REAL performance.
Now, when recording the real performance. Go for quality of course. IF you are going for an autotuned vocal effect, then once again, record your performance while monitoring your vocals with autotune. This will allow you to "work that autotune". And you dont have to record the whole performance in one go/pass. You can split the performance up.

What else does all this do....
Remember when you were listening to your rough draft, over and over. Learning the melody.....
This also teaches you how to sing the performance....
And how to sing in that key....
So its also a learning tool also....

Now, I could have went into greater detail, but Im guessing most of you will understand all of this.

Now imagine if you had to do a live performance, and you didn't have the Antares Autotune AV1 Hardware unit hooked up to your microphone.....Well, you better be able to perform that vocal. This is one reason you will not hear alot of songs performed live. Because sometimes the artist has no real vocal talent. Only AUTOTUNE talent.....That is why I stress learning your vocal performance, and actually practice singing it.

And some of you will have difficulty. Alot of people are under the impression that, "Yo, shoot, if I used autotune, I could sound good, just like TPain and everyone else, I dont even have to have any vocal talent at all.."
Im sure some of the artist who attempt to use exagerated autotuned vocal effects, and maybe you have attempted yourself, and found out its not as simple as you thought.
You still have to have some creativity, and in order for it to sound good, some vocal talent, and a good vocal tonality.

Good luck...

Last edited:
I just enable monitor on the audio channel that I have the plug in on, wasn't aware it was difficult.

I just enable monitor on the audio channel that I have the plug in on, wasn't aware it was difficult.
Its not difficult for everyone.
And it depends on the Multitrack Recording program being used.

Some newbies will forget an important step, which is to disable, or lower the volume of their "original" monitored vocal. Which, if not disabled, or turned down, will mix with the "autotune effected" vocal when live monitoring is enabled. And this will not sound right.

Some newbies may also be using their computers stock soundcard.
And if someone is still using their computers soundcard, then you know they got to be an extreme newbie, or not really into music creation enough, to make an investment. SO chances are, their knowledge on routing isn't up to par. And the routing changes that need to be made for those using their stock soundcard may be difficult for the newbie.

Back