Art Tube MP Project Series Tube Replacement

D

DetailzMi

I did a few searches for tube descriptions and didnt really dig up what i was searching for. Im looking to replace my tube in my Art Tube Mp Project Series PreAmp. Im using A Studio projects C3 mic for solely recording vocals. The tube inside is a 12ax7B. I have found countless numbers of tubes matching this model but no descriptions of what its built for. As you know the last thing i need is distortion and i cant afford to experiment. I figured changing the tube would be a nice cheap alternative to buying a new preamp in this economy. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The tube in the Tube MP doesn't really do much of anything. It's really a "toob" piece of gear. There's really no point in swapping it out unless it's fried.

It's not the horrible pre some make it out to be. I made tons of records with one of those (some of which did very well...)

I dont think i understand what your tryin to say.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a ART MPA Gold and put in telefunken tubes, i noticed a difference in the top end, but swapping out the tubes is not an alternative to buying a new preamp.

I put a Groove Tubes tube in my ART Tube MP studio because I had it laying around. The 12AX7 is known for it's high gain. Try a 12AU7. It's a little smoother. But you will not notice hardly any difference. There is a mod for it from Black Lion Audio. They don't do it anymore but if you can find the info on it you could always get someone with some electronics experience do the mod for you. It's an expensive mod, about $150 if I remember correctly, but it's said to get the pre up in the $300+ range with ease.

Here is the article.
http://home.att.net/~crazydoc/ART_Tube_MP_Modification.pdf

Hi,
I have created a 5 part video review series of the original ART Tube MP and put it on YouTube. There are quite a few audio tests that you can listen to and in the third video I try different tubes inside the MP and compare the sound. You can clearly hear the differences. I also include some tips for how to get the best sound out of the Tube MP with the assumption that most people using it are not pros. The Tube you use inside the Tube MP definitely does make a difference, but I feel that the cable you use to connect its output is just as important. Here is the link to my channel page in case you are interested.
YouTube - ToneTaster's Channel

Last edited:
Back