My first video shot with a T3, tell me what you think about it!

D

dvcphung

I know the T3 does not come with a lot of features when it comes to HD video, but I tried the hardest to get the best out of it. It is my first video ever shot with the T3, so any feedback (in noob language) would be very appreciated.

Thanks! I will try to upload a video in the next two weeks again!

Video quality is good as with most of the canon eos camera's. What lense did you use? 18-55?

Yeah I got the 18-55mm, you think I should upgrade the lens or isn't that really necessary?

Thanks! I will try to upload a video in the next two weeks again!

Yeah I got the 18-55mm, you think I should upgrade the lens or isn't that really necessary?

Depends on the usage of the cam.
I use several lenses on my 7d and a few of them i really prefer.
The 18-55mm is ok to start with, especially if u r new to dslr cams.
If u think u really need a lens with a zoom option, i'dd go for a 18-300mm lens.
I use the tamron 18-300mm f3.5 lens.
My favorit lens i use is the 50mm 1.4 prime lens. No zooming involved and really good for shooting in low light areas.
If the 50mm 1.4 is a bit to pricy try the 50mm 2.8 lens. Its a bit cheaper for it has no usm.
Another favorit of mine is the 28mm 2.8. Not that expensive and okay in most situations. This is also a prime lens.

If u dont think to zoom a lot in ur videos, get prime lenses.

Great vid, with great quality. The only feedback I can give is next time you should pre-record everything, I think the vid would of been that much better if the intro you did was pre-recorded and we didn't hear you banging on board. add the pre-recorded stuff in post and just sync up all the pre-recorded stuff, gives it that video feel......unless you really want it to be live, then disregard this >.>. Nice vid man.

If u think u really need a lens with a zoom option, i'dd go for a 18-300mm lens.
My favorit lens i use is the 50mm 1.4 prime lens. No zooming involved and really good for shooting in low light areas.
If the 50mm 1.4 is a bit to pricy try the 50mm 2.8 lens. Its a bit cheaper for it has no usm.
Another favorit of mine is the 28mm 2.8. Not that expensive and okay in most situations. This is also a prime lens.

If u dont think to zoom a lot in ur videos, get prime lenses.

I like the whole "manual focus" effect, how the background gets blurry if you focus onto something, so which lens do you think would be a good upgrade, (or maybe neither lenses would be an "upgrade" of the 18-55mm).
1) Canon EF 55-250mm
2) Canon EF 75-300mm

My budget is pretty low when it comes to video equipment, since I rather want to focus on the "music" aspect :)

But thanks for everybody for their comments and advice on the video!!

---------- Post added at 12:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 PM ----------

Great vid, with great quality. The only feedback I can give is next time you should pre-record everything, I think the vid would of been that much better if the intro you did was pre-recorded and we didn't hear you banging on board. add the pre-recorded stuff in post and just sync up all the pre-recorded stuff, gives it that video feel......unless you really want it to be live, then disregard this >.>. Nice vid man.

Yeah I kinda wanted to have the "live" vibe, just to give it a feeling of "making the beat" rather than "editing" as if you made the beat already :) That's why I only did the "basic frame" live and all the other stuff I prerecorded! But I might try it in my next videos!

I like the whole "manual focus" effect, how the background gets blurry if you focus onto something, so which lens do you think would be a good upgrade, (or maybe neither lenses would be an "upgrade" of the 18-55mm).
1) Canon EF 55-250mm
2) Canon EF 75-300mm

My budget is pretty low when it comes to video equipment, since I rather want to focus on the "music" aspect :)

But thanks for everybody for their comments and advice on the video!!

---------- Post added at 12:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 PM ----------

Looking @ ur video and the way you shot it, i wouldn't go for either of them.
You don't use any zoom so a prime lens would be great. I'dd go for the Canon ef 28 mm 2.8 lens. It's about the same price as the 2 lenses you suggested + u already got the standard lens with a bit of zoom.
Example of the 28 mm prime lens: A day in november Color Graded - YouTube

Big plus for the 28mm in comparison of the 55-250mm & 75-300mm is the F-stop 2.8.
The 55-250 & 75-300 have an F-stop of 4, meaning you will need a lot of light when ur filming or you will need to put up the ISO, which will give the movie (too) much grain.

You don't use any zoom so a prime lens would be great. I'dd go for the Canon ef 28 mm 2.8 lens. It's about the same price as the 2 lenses you suggested + u already got the standard lens with a bit of zoom.

Big plus for the 28mm in comparison of the 55-250mm & 75-300mm is the F-stop 2.8.
The 55-250 & 75-300 have an F-stop of 4, meaning you will need a lot of light when ur filming or you will need to put up the ISO, which will give the movie (too) much grain.

Wow the lens looks amazing for filming! So just to clarify everything first, there is no zoom on this lens though right? It only has "one" distance, and it's pretty close when I look at the video. The only thing you can change on this lens is the manual focus?

Wow the lens looks amazing for filming! So just to clarify everything first, there is no zoom on this lens though right? It only has "one" distance, and it's pretty close when I look at the video. The only thing you can change on this lens is the manual focus?

Correct, it has nog zoom option. The lens zooms in automatically a little bit, but not that much. You can get images sharp that are quite near the camera, so that's a big plus.
The lens has a manual focus indeed, but in photomode it's also possible to use the automatic focus.

My favorit lens i use is the 50mm 1.4 prime lens. No zooming involved and really good for shooting in low light

A lot of this is not very good advice .
The Tamron 18-300 is a superzoom lens and thus the optics are stretched too far .
Add that to it being a budget lens means the image quality is poor , not to mention it being very slow F6.3 at the long end , in fact exceeding the AF activation threshold of F5.6 on canon cameras (might have to start taping over contact pins to get the AF to work at the long end) .
The Canon 55-250mm will provide much better results than the Tamron 18-300 .

Now as for a choice of lens , you need to ask what you will be using the camera for .
If you are only shooting video indoors then a prime might be the way to go .
Do consider the plastic fantastic 50 1.8 it is very cheap and will give you the chance to control the depth of field down the quite "thin" .
In other words , you will be able to blur the background easier with the wider aperture .
Do bear in mind because of the construction of the lens the bokeh will not be that pleasing (tend to be looking at L series to get that beautiful creamy blurred background , so big $$) .
I am not convinced the 50mm 1.4 will be better , sure it seems faster on paper , but the lens doesn't really sharpen up until F2 , also the USM is not proper USM , but a micro motor , not good .

Now if you intend to use the camera for stills as well , maybe sports or wildlife , street , then the 55-250 will give you an idea what can be done with a zoom (think of it as a long version of your kit lens).
This lens is quite slow , F5.6 at the long end , but still faster than the Tamron mentioned .

Don't be afraid to raise the ISO , the 550d/7d architecture is very similar and has very good high ISO performance .

I have only suggested the cheap lenses , if you are interested in spending some real money on lenses , then repost and I can try and help .
I don't buy cheap lenses , a good lens will last a lifetime if looked after and will always be worth it's money if you sell .
Also , if you upgrade your camera body , then good EF lenses will make the transition with you from body to body .

Last edited:
Thanks so much for your advice @Foggy! I only have a T3 (1100D) tho, so not the expensive 7D. It is primarily for filming, but if I can shoot nice photos with it, that is a big plus, but I will use it primarily for shooting video. As you can see I don't zoom in too much, but a little zoom is always nice, but the main thing I like to do is playing around with the focus. The more "blurry" the background, the better I believe. As I care more about the music than shooting video, my budget is not unlimited lol, and I just want to be able to be able to upload quality videos.

Cool mate !
I did get confused about the T3 , T3i ( I have T2i , a cheapo 7d :P )...... I do wish they would stick to some sensible way of naming the models !
Not too sure how the t3 performs at the higher iso , I'll have a look at that .

I can see how zooming in video is not that nice , unless for special effect ...
The thing with a zoom lens is that it covers a lot of focal lengths in one lens , so one price for a range of coverage .
A prime lens is only one fixed focal length , but "should" outperform a zoom lens (or perform the same and be cheaper) .

A summary ....
The longer the focal length , the bigger the subject appears in the image ....but .... if the focal length is too long you may not be able to get far enough away from the subject to fit them in the frame .

The higher the "F" number , the thinner the "depth of field" ..... EG a small/thin depth of field will blur a background close to the subject ... a large/thick depth of field will need the back ground to be further away from the subject to be blurred .

Now here are a couple of terms you might not be familiar with .....

Bokeh ....... this is the quality of the background blur .... not how much it is blurred , but the quality....
This is determined on the construction of the lens .... take a close look at movies and photos at the background blur ..... a Sh!te bokeh can be seen as hexagonal shapes in highlights ..especially lensflares ..... a good bokeh is very smooth perfect circular patters that meld together .
Might not seem important , but you would be amazed how much the human eye will be attracted by this , kinda ultimate movie look that is so overlooked by the budget cinematographer .

Fore-shortening ...
Now this is the way a lens distorts the image proportional to it's focal length ....
Might sound a bit confusing ....but ...... a short lens will distort the image in a certain way , a fisheye lens is the extreme of this ...have a look ..
Fisheye-lens.jpg

Now a wide angle lens will have a similar effect (that is an extreme example) .
Have a play with your kit lens at the 18 mm and the 50mm , take the same photo twice ..move closer to fill the frame at 18mm ..move away at 50mm ...the point is to fill the frame with the subject .
Now look at the pictures on your pc .... quite different .
Wide angle flatters some subjects (makes buildings and cars look big) ...but ... stick that on a woman and she may kick you in your nuts (eg makes noses look big and faces pinched) ... so for close shots of a beautiful woman ... a longer lens from further away will be more flattering (eg over 100 mm as a rule of thumb , I prefer to get nearer 200 mm) .

Finally your camera is more than capable of taking some absolutely brilliant photos , gotta be worth a go and see :D

Attachments

• Fisheye-lens.jpg
    Fisheye-lens.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 12,116
Last edited:
this is with the T3 (without the i). I wish I purchased the T3i, since the T3 got not a lot of video functions at all! But I tried my best to get the video as best as possible.

---------- Post added 01-29-2012 at 09:38 PM ---------- Previous post was 01-17-2012 at 05:38 PM ----------

I just uploaded a new video with the exact same camera. I think I liked this Xmas video more, but not sure how it turned out. The video can be seen in this new thread I just created: https://www.futureproducers.com/forums/production-techniques/tutorials-gear-reviews-beatmaking-videos/making-orchestral-hip-hop-beat-ableton-|-canon-t3-|-2012-a-393448/

Correct, it has nog zoom option. The lens zooms in automatically a little bit, but not that much. You can get images sharp that are quite near the camera, so that's a big plus.
The lens has a manual focus indeed, but in photomode it's also possible to use the automatic focus.

Dude I see you're from Amsterdam! I was born in the Netherlands! in Nieuwegein! Moved to the States three years ago :)

Here is my youtube channell if you want to check out my other videos. I'm planning to upload videos on a regular basis, so stay tuned :)

www.youtube.com/user/DVCPhung

Last edited by a moderator:
Back