Your thoughts on the future of CDs/MP3's and making money as an artist

dranfu

What's up group,

I'm working on a survey for a project and I would love to get your opinions on the future of digital music. The survey is below. Long live independent music!
-------------------------

Some experts believe that digital downloads are just a fad, and that music consumers will always prefer some tangible form of the album to an mp3, still others believe that mp3s are here to stay, and believe that we are headed for a future where CDs don't exist and where unimaginably large music collections will be stored on remote servers and streamed to our home receivers at the touch of a button. What do you think? Share your opinions below by answering some questions on digital downloads and the future of music technology.

Space for your answer and/or comments has been provided to make filling out the survey quick and easy. To post your answers, simply copy the entire survey as a new reply and fill in the answers in the appropriate space, this way other members can read your full response. You can skip any questions you don’t want to answer.

When you have finished, please include your age group and general location.

Phase 1: Digital Downloads

1. What do you think is a fair price for a single mp3 track?

a. $1.49
b. $0.99
c. $0.75
d. Lower than $0.75
e. I don't know

Your Answer:

Care to explain why?:

2. Are you more likely to purchase a “digitized” song if you can use it in your mobile phone or your mp3/ipod player?

a. I’m more likely to purchase a “digitized” song for use in my mobile phone
b. I’m more likely to purchase a “digitized” song for use in my mp3/ipod player

Your Answer:

Care to explain why?:

3. Have you ever purchased music from a Digital Download store? If so, how many songs have you paid purchased and downloaded?

a. Less than ten songs
b. 10-24 songs
c 25-49 songs
d. 50 or more songs
e. I've never purchased music online

Your Answer:

4. In general, what do you like or dislike about Digital Download stores?

Your Answer (Please provider your thoughts, there is no limit to the length of your response):

Phase 2- File Sharing Networks

1. Have you ever downloaded music from P2P(peer to peer)/file sharing network, if so how many songs do you download per week?

a. fewer than 10 songs per week
b. 10 to 25 songs per week
c. 50 or 100 songs per week
d 100 or more songs per week
e. I've never downloaded music from a p2p/file sharing

Your Answer:

2, Famous P2P/File Sharing Networks like Napster and Kazza have made headlines for being the target of Lawsuits from the Recording industry. How much have these events influenced how much music you download from these networks?

a. I download less music now since learning of those lawsuits
b. I download more music now since learning of those lawsuits
c. Those lawsuits have had no affect on how I download music.
d. What is Napster and Kazza?

Your Answer:

Phase 3- Industry Perceptions Verse Public Perceptions

1. Some recording industry experts believe that consumers will be more willing to buy digital downloads if album art, liner notes, and other novel aspects of a "hard copy" CD are included with the mp3 version of an artist album. What would an artist need to include in an all digital mp3 version of their album to convince you as a consumer to purchase an all digital album versus a hard copy CD version?

Your Answer (Please provide your thoughts on this question, there is no limit to the length of your response):

2. The recording industry has been an active supporter of Digital Rights Management (DRM) technology, which can be used to control what rights a consumer has in copying and installing their music files on different devices. What are your opinions on DRM technology?

a. I support DRM technology
b. I do not support DRM technology
c. I do not have an opinion on DRM technology

Your Answer:

If you are for or against DRM technology, please explain why:

6. There are many free mp3 sites on the web that feature music by amateur to semi-pro musicians, myspace.com, mp3.com and purevolume.com are a few examples. Have you ever joined one of these sites to promote your music on the internet?

a. Yes, I have.
b. No, I have not.
c. No, but I have created a personal web page to feature my music.
d. Yes, I have, but I have also created a personal web page to feature my music.

Your Answer:

7. What are your opinions on the quality of amateur/semi pro music available on free mp3 sites like myspace.com, mp3.com and purevolume.com. Do you think the quality is

a. mostly excellent
b. mostly very good
c. mostly good
d. mostly mediocre
e. mostly poor
f. mostly very poor

Your Answer:

Please explain why you chose your answer:

Phase 4-Consumer Spending Patterns

1. Giving your best guess, please tell us how much you spend on physical music purchases, whether on CD's/tapes/vinyl, per month

Your Answer:

2. Giving your best guess, please tell us how much you spend on Digital Download music purchases, whether MP3’s or itunes format.

Your Answer:

3. If you own a mobile phone, please tell us how much you spend on mobile music ring tones/mp3 ring tones for your mobile phone.

Your Answer:

3. Do you buy wallpapers, screen savers, games, or other mobile phone/mobile device applications? If so, which applications do you buy?

Your Answer:

Phase 5- Interviews Thoughts on The Future Of Music Formats

1. Please share your thoughts on the future of music formats. Do you believe that CDs will still be purchased five to ten years from now, or do you think mp3’s will become the default format for delivering music to consumers, and why?

Your Thoughts:

2. The best studies show that only a small percentage of consumers actually pay for digital download/MP3 music, while most either continue to purchase CDs or simply find music for free online. Despite this data, studies also show that the most enthusiastic Digital Download consumers are also the most enthusiastic CD purchasers. As a music consumer, do you have any further thoughts on what a provider of music can do to make you more eager to purchase music online?

Your Thoughts:

3. If you are in independent/amateur/semi-pro artist who has hosted music on free mp3 sites, please share your opinions on the usefulness of these websites in promoting your music increasing sales of your records, if you sell records, and advancing your career as a musician. What improvements have you seen made or do you think should be made by such websites that would allow you to be successful, both artistically and financially, as an independent musician?

4. Do you have any thoughts relevant to this survey that you would like to share about Digital Downloadable music, music on file sharing networks, the future of the recording industry, or the future of web promotion for independent artist?

Finally, what is your age group:

12 or younger
13-17
18-24
25-35
over 35

What is your general location?

USA East, West, North, South, or Midwest?
UK?
France?
Germany?
Other?

Are you male or female?

Thank you for taking the time to take the survey. The creator of this survey does not work for any record label or record industry affiliate. This survey was created in response to Shuman Ghosemajumder’s seminal work, Advanced Peer-Based Technology Businesses Models, for research purposes and to validate—or possibly disprove—the findings of that report.

This survey was created by V. Brooks (dranfu@gmail.com). Please send an email if you would like to be emailed the results or any publishing of the results of this survey.

You're crazy. Good intentions. But you think anyone here has that attention span? lol.

Industry was up 19% in 2006 from 2005. CD sales down 5%. Downloading up 65%. Says it all, doesn't it?

que? so ok que??? music download gud
buy cd for 19 dollars never motherbich, sussie trow it out the window sussie que?!!? QUE!!!

If you do a new msg with just the questions in short id be more than willing to fill it in m8

Back