Where to put the chorus, how long?

E.T. Science

Hey guys. I'm gonna finish this beat in a few, by adding a melody. I was wondering how long the verses/chorus should be? Like, in musical bars. Any help is appreciated.

-E.T.

What type of music is it? This can affect how you compose a "chorus" drastically.

Generally, Sleepy is right.

It's rap/hip hop. So chorus and verse needs to be 8 bars? Or.. did I misunderstand.. sorry, I'm tired.
Thanks for replies.

-E.T.

One51 said:
Chorus is 8 bars, Verse 16, Intro/Outro can be any length you want...Usually 4 or 8 bars...

In that case, yes, those are the "standards" for Rap/HipHop/RnB and Pop. Once you're used to that, feel free to break the conventions though.

yep like everyone said, say safe.

4 bar intro, 8 bar hook, 16bar verse.

feel free to switch it up

8 bar intro, 16 bar verse, 8 bar hook.

whatever sounds good.

hel said:

In that case, yes, those are the "standards" for Rap/HipHop/RnB and Pop. Once you're used to that, feel free to break the conventions though.

Exactly...Just mess with it after a while...I made a bagner that was 16 bar Intro, 32 Bar verses, a 16 hook, 16 bar verse and a 16 outro...

Some classics have crazy order...Just see how its done by listening to older songs...

ok well it all depends on what sorta song ur making in my opinion..

like usually ill make an 8 bar melodie, and ill use that 3 times in the verses and maybe once in the chorus.. other ppl put thing where they feel like it at the time, or where sounds best.. i like to keep my sh!t organised and clutter free

but we all have our own choice, musik is refelction of one self, wether it be the emotions or feelings at the time of the songs production, will change the outcome of the track. :D

hope that helped ya

cozza said:
ok well it all depends on what sorta song ur making in my opinion..

like usually ill make an 8 bar melodie, and ill use that 3 times in the verses and maybe once in the chorus.. other ppl put thing where they feel like it at the time, or where sounds best.. i like to keep my sh!t organised and clutter free

but we all have our own choice, musik is refelction of one self, wether it be the emotions or feelings at the time of the songs production, will change the outcome of the track. :D

hope that helped ya
exactly,, because there's people who sing/rap slow during the chorus so maybe like an R&B track is about 20 bars.

8 bars is 8 bars regardless of how slow or how fast the track is. The duration will be different depending on tempo but a bar will always be a bar regardless of the tempo.

Back