What Groove Box for Hip-Hop/Rap Production

M

mj milla

Hi. I am going to buy a groove box soon. An MPC3000 or any $1500 and up is out. However what one should I get to make hip-hip/rap beats like what ones come with the best sounds for it? Roland, Zoom, Yamaha?

ur price range...

search everywhere for an old yamaha SU10. i cant find one anywhere in australia, maybe you can find one where you live.

if u cant get one of those then you can definitely get a new Yamaha SU200 somewhere.

or maybe you could get a Roland 808. those are what the Bomb Squad used to use. and we've all heard rebel without a pause so you know the capabilities.

Last edited by a moderator:
yo.....you keep changin your answer....cause first you like.......you cant afford 1500+.....then you're like 500+. what's your price range....? then we'll work from there yo.....

see i can get **** half price so if something sells for $500 i can get it for $250. upto $500 whats the best groove box for making rap/hip hop. I was thinking either the roland d2, roland mc-303 or mc-307.

Those gboxes are straight trash and not really geared for hip hop.I humbly suggest the SU700.It has no onboard sounds but it does everything else you want it to.

peace

Ps I heard you can get it for $400-$600 now.Look around for the best bargain.

lol that f*cking sucks :). im out like $350 now :). I ordered the mc 307 2 days ago. the demo song was nice, and my boy has one and he made nice tracks with it. we'll have to see. but you say it sucks for hiphop?

I mean in terms of up to date sounds.Roland has a bad reputation when it comes to drums.Korg and Emu have the best drum sounds.Then again I guess it`s all up to what you like.If you like those 808,909,type sounds then go with the Roland.I suggest you go a different route and sample your drums from vinyl records and make your own drum patterns like I do.Plus you are dealing with a closed box,meaning that soon those kits are gonna get boring and uninspiring.It all depends on what you wanna do.I make complete songs with my SU700.It has 40+ tracks to place samples on,and a decent sequencer,and nice on-board efx,different sampling rates,many ways you can twist and alter drums and sounds.Plus you can record your changes in real time.Sick,sick,sick machine!!!!

Peace

hey you can do all that with the mc 303 or 307, and it has the classic 808 and 909's and about 150 other different kits. only thing is i don't think you can sample into it. it has too many sounds to play around with the count, but i think it will be good. anyways later...

box

I havnt read anything or heard anything made by the mc307 or anything. I know the MPC is good. But they are very expensive.

I would recomend the Roland sp808. It is a great machine. It has alot of its own sounds, on board sound fx, etc etc all that techinical junk..haha. It works just like the mpc.

and the good thing is, because they have released a newer version with a in-built cd-re-writer the older version, without the cd writer init can be bought for around £400 or even less if your lucky..

Now Im no genius but, in the US you could probably get this for ALOT cheaper than you can in the UK.

I agree though, those little boxes do seem to be abit limited. The worst thing is you cant sample into them..like you say.

its worth saving for something like a mpc or the sp808 because you can make a complette track with it. make the music, sample your lyrics into it add effects etc etc. then just master them using a pc or mac.

get another job or something cuz you will probably regret buying one of those small things..

Ive read abit about some GrooveBox's. an the sp505 doesnt look bad..it sould be alot cheaper than the sp808 and the mpc too. It basically does everything the sp808 does,but the only thing that put me off, is it uses smart-media. which is pretty damn expensive to upgrade...whereas the sp808 uses zip disks. which can be got cheaply from most high street computer stores.

But I guess if you dont have alot of money the sp505 could be an option..

hey so you think the sp808 or 805 is more geared for hip hop rap production? i still haven't got that mc307 but thats what i was thinking. the sp808 is 805 is like a cheaper mpc3000 huh?

No, I didnt say they are more geared for hiphop production...but then, nothing is. Most if not all music equipment especially grooveboxs arent made JUST for hiphop, or any other type of music.. I suggested the sp808 because I have used it, I liked it, and it is cheap compared to the mpc.

It is easy to use, the memory isnt limited because it uses zip disks. it has alot of internal fx and sounds etc etc. it is very good. I said the sp505(?) because, I read abit about it on the roland website and it says it basically can do alot of what the sp808 can except it uses SmartMedia....which is VERY expensive and not worth it...

Look at it. Is a pc made JUST for hiphop? ....NO! But ALOT of people use them to create tracks, or even just to master their stuff....it doesnt really matter weather or not your hardware/software is made for hiphop, the only thing that matters is what you can do with it..

And once again I say, I STRONGLY recomend the sp808.

Didnt the BeatMinerz use it at one time? - Correct me if Im wrong..

hey the sp808 does sound good. is it pretty much a cheaper mpc and can you sample in to it?

You most definatly can , son. It uses 250MB zip disks..which is great..because theres no need to expand..just buy a new disk if ya need to. You can create your track and record all your vocals into it. Then master it on ya pc or mac.

mad expensive though, they're like a grand i would just buy a real mpc if i could afford that.

No their not...if you buy the newer version brand new then yes(the newest being sp808EX)...but you can get the sp808 second hand for around £400..

Back