Which website platform? Which mailing list platform?

Milo Burke

I'm trying to choose which website platform to build my site on.

I didn't expect to like BandZoogle, but it offers almost everything I'm interested in:
- It looks as easy to build in as SquareSpace
- Domain included in price
- It's designed for musicians, so it has the types of page components musicians might want
- Mailing list is built in, which is a huge plus
- Mailing list can export (some can't)
- Mailing list can offer incentives for signing up, like a free song or album
- Digital store is commission-free
- Nice digital metrics on site visitors and mailing list members​

But! The mailing list doesn't have an auto-sequence feature, meaning you can't send new subscribers a "thanks for subscribing!" email, then three days later a follow-up question, then a week later a personal blurb, etc. I've heard that the auto-sequence feature is super important for building a big mailing list and using it to generate revenue. But ... the mailing list services that do this cost money. I'm pretty sure MailChimp doesn't do this in their free program, and MailChimp paid and AWeber start at $20/m. That's more expensive than all of Bandzoogle.

And if the mailing list is handled by someone else, then why choose BandZoogle for website hosting? What about SquareSpace, Wix, Weebly, and the others?

1) What do you guys use? Do you like it?

2) If you could do it again, how would you do it?

3) Knowing that BandZoogle can export the mailing list, maybe I should start there, but expect to transition to AWeber at the point I have some revenue coming in? (Do I need the auto-sequence more then or now?)

Thanks, guys!

Back