Traits of a good producer?

bizeball

I can't play a instrument, I can't read music, I am not really creative or artistic. What are the traits of a good producer?. Is this something the average person can pick up, or is it a gift.

The main reason I am trying to learn this trade is becuase I love hip hop and RnB music. I believe this is the only thing I have going for me. I have been listening to the genra of music since I can remember.

being vreative is important..... but it depends on your ear mostly.... yo just DL a demo of FLStudio and give it a ****ing try homes ya dig

he produces good music. 'nuff said.

a better question to ask would be what traits do the most successfull people have? if you apply those traits to your love of music, then you will find what traits the most successful producers have. study classic self-improvement books such as The 7 Highly Effective Habits of Successful People, and Think and Grow Rich.

for me, the advice I gave you has garnered me
1) a more in-depth understanding of the history of music
2) the software and hardware to be able to fulfill my dreams
3) the drive to actually put these things to good use. I practice my craft every single day.

The main reason I am trying to learn this trade is becuase I love hip hop and RnB music. I believe this is the only thing I have going for me. I have been listening to the genra of music since I can remember.

And don't rely on music to be your main source of income. Follow your music dreams, but make a more dependable source of income and living such as going to college and gaining the skills to land a solid-grounded career one of your main goals in life.

https://www.futureproducers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209329
look on youtube.... on reason 4 Fl studio.... Pro tools.... Cubase...
vst... MIDI....
http://www.audioinstitute.com/
for home based audio engineer program I loved this program taught me everything I needed to know about audio engineering which is a big part of producing.... in my opinion

www.tweakheadz.com

search google for warbeats

www.bigfishaudio.com
if you want to be a producer you're going to have to have a decent job..
and alot of motivation...being a producer started as a newbie is alot of reading...research practice....
so going to have to spend tons of money but there are cheap ways to get into producing to make sure it's for you...
you will need
software or hardware that allows you to make and sequence instrumentals
computer side is what I mess with just research and spend alot of time here and on those links I posted....
tons of information....
but if you go cheap and you want to continue and like to produce you will need to upgrade later

where do some of yall come up with these types of questions?

dude, you jive like answered your own question..

Renaissance31 said:
Only do it if you're ready for a never-ending supply of beautiful women at your disposal.

?? all I got is some big ol sweaty male rappers (no homo) maybe I should get into R&B? lol or does the women come after you produce your first few hits

There is no good or bad when it comes to music(wait...what am i saying!!) ok well if you feel that your music is good then it will show in your finished products. I agree that you need to develop an ear for it mainly due to the size of your audience( can get quite massive if you become well known) however, good or bad is determined primarily by the ear of the composer. If you believe in yourself and have confidence in what you are doing others will have the same opinion and you may become sucessful by doing so. If you love music then honor the craft and pratice,practice,practice!!! " Do it for the love and the money will follow".

bizeball said:
I can't play a instrument, I can't read music, I am not really creative or artistic. What are the traits of a good producer?. Is this something the average person can pick up, or is it a gift.

mhhh. sounds like you don't have anything else to do.. already bored from life? ;)

anyway, the first constructive step would be to listen to other (serious) genres like funk, soul, jazz, disco. that's where hiphop comes from, nobody like the results of incest.

if you're serious about getting into music production the best trait you could have, among others, is perseverance. a lot of people get hooked up with FL Studios and make some "cling clang beats" and feel like they've become a pro ..but it's a lot harder then that. If you want to use music production as a hobby and a form of expression or if you want to make a business out of it ..it takes raw will and determination to be constantly refining your skills and expanding your versatility with your craft. You always have to keep at it ..& you already have the basis for that, a love of music.

Good luck to you on your music production journey.

son lemme tell you like this

you needa realign your goals and aspirations in life

cuz watchin BET and MTV ain't gonna support you when you're in your 30s n got no college degree

now, if you REALLY... REALLY feel like you got a deep love and a drive to do the music, then re-read this thread and take everybody's advice.

cuz i'm stuck looking up to music at 25 years of age now. most o my friends were wise n did good in high school n college when i was living thinkin that cuttin class n gettin a$$ was cool... now music might be ALL i have... on n off i think about what life would be like if i graduated from college at like 21 or 22 n got a job in like computer engineering when it mattered. i'd probably have a nice house in the suburbs, a nice a$$ car, n prolly a nice a$$ wifey at home. a dog n two cats even. dead serious.

dedication and patience are the 2 amongst all the serious producers I work with.

knowing a good group of musicians will help take your production to the next level...being able to construct a working environment for them that will make it possible for you to give your necessary input...you will find that alot of live musicians are not very technical so it is your job to get their performance on a digital platform...as a producer you create a concept and let them take it from there...whatever comes out is in your hands to manipulate

The best thing you can do is not listen to any hip-hop music. The best producers came from family backgrounds where there mom was a chorus director or there pops sung for a group, or maybe their family just played music around the house all the time. You had to have gotten the love of music from somewhere, and music is one of those things that everybody has been exposed to. You just have to figure out what aspect of it you were most exposed to....then EMBRACE IT!

watchwhathappens I feel you I'm just now finishing up school at age 30....come this april I'll be done this summer quarter with assiocate in business management not a bachelor but I won't be working poor living paycheck to paycheck anymore... if I would have graduated at 22 or whatever I would be owning a home and a nice car too... but on the other hand I got to know Christ so I'm not sad about my road in life right now and I have a lovely wife and daughter "my daugther is one month and ten days" just as cute as she wants to be.... and I have decent production setup but now that second bedroom is my daughter's now "cries" lol.....

Back