Track length

D

DJ Ransom

Just wanted some sort of idea as to how long you can make a track, ie usually i make track's that last about 6 - 7 minutes, but i was wondering if it's ok to make a track that goes for as long as 10 minutes.

I'm talking about stuff made for dj's obviously, with a big intro/outro etc...(progressive house/breakbeat kinda music i think.....)......

How long is too long???

Cheers!

-don't know the exact specs, but I believe you can record up to ~ 9 or 10 minutes at 33rpm (****tier quality) and fewer minutes at 45 rpm (mo bettah quality)

It all depends on the volume of the track too.. the more u jam on the record the less volume you get and the more noise

I think tracks up to 9-10 min. are pretty OK, especially for trance / progressive trance productions.

Or maybe the best is:
A-side: 1 track from 9-10 min.
B-side: 2 tracks (or mixes) from 5-6 min.

Personally I prefer 3 tracks above 2.

Too long is when it's really starting to annoy.
Or also that kind of "concept" tracks like Goldie's "Mother". I do really like Goldie, he's one of the best jungle/dnb producers, but a song from more than 40 min. (like "Mother") is too much.

And maybe the most important thing for long tracks:
the track has to be highly progressive & with enough varieties & changes. If not, I guess most people will not like it, because it will become sounding boring.

fat_boy_pier said:
And maybe the most important thing for long tracks:
the track has to be highly progressive & with enough varieties & changes. If not, I guess most people will not like it, because it will become sounding boring.
not true ! you ever heard of "house"?

Back