Top 5 reasons why producers have a hard time selling beats.

SFTRAXX

West Coast Rap Producer
Do you ever wonder why it seems so hard to sell your beats? I mean, your beats are just as good as some of the hits on the radio, right? Well, if you [like so many others] are having a hard time getting those elusive sales then you might wanna go over this list and rethink your approach..

The list may sting a bit but try to keep a constructive perspective on this while reading. It may just help you.

Starting from the bottom..

5. Poor Marketing Skills

People who fall under this category approach the game backwards so just as soon as they come in the front door they are pushed out the back. They tend to abuse social networks by spamming people with”check out my music” links and then wonder why no one wants to give them a listen. You may have came across this type before – you may even be this type…. Shame on you.

click here to read the full list.

I would make a longer list, like THE TOP TEN (at least ten) and...

I would actually suggest A FIX for these situations or an ideal strategy.
I am working with a rapper right now and his top 5 reasons for NOT buying beats are none of these.

I suggest a scientific approach that addresses these issues. Because, if you were talking to me, how would I know what the problem is?
Or that I had one? If my beats aren't ready and I (as every guy who makes beatz does) think they are, how do I know fer sure that I need to 'work harder'?

So I guess I'm saying this really isn't a helpful list.
And to be honest, it's probably best if a RAPPER starts explaining this kind of stuff instead of Producas speculating on what they think the problem is.

For example, there is scientific proof that SPAM Works.
The problem is that beatmakers SPAM beatmaker sites - NOT SITES WITH RAPPERS ON THEM.

And I can explain why. When you get out of the world you are comfortable in, you become a scrub.
If a rapper popped up on here and asked about beats, we'd (collectively) herb (yes, I'm bringing that back) him and grill him about his deal and budget.
And he'd be asked these questions by dudes who haven't sold a single beat or produced anyone before. Dudes without ANY of their work for display would ask him for a resume and blood sample. He'd be scared away. BUT that rapper if perfectly fine chilling on rapper-friendly sites and talking trash all day.

And if you (as a beatmaker) went to the sites where cats spend all day arguing about this rapper verse that rapper, you'd be considered an outsider and scrub and they would tell you that "You aiiight" and your beats should be free. And if you dare name ANY PRICE, they'd link you to all the free beats they aint using. So where do beatmakers have confidence? Sites with other beatmakers so that their stuff is pretty good in comparison to all the junk.

I still say Rappers shouldn't buy beats.

If rappers shouldn't buy beats what should they do especially since this is the era of producers having zero worth for their beats and rappers expecting everything to be free from PR to engineering to everything in between.

Last edited:
i just need connections...

Yeah, THAT would be a better reason.

Why haven't you sold any beatz?

You don't know any rappers.

And know as in really know. It makes me wonder how you can be around this thing long enough to only need connections (That says you have enough ready music) but never meet any worthy rappers of using your music....I could see if you said:
I need to be around
BETTER rappers....
More motivated rappers....
more known rappers....
more serious rappers.....

etc....but whatever.

Maybe I'll write my own blog post about this...

If rappers shouldn't buy beats what should they do especially since this is the era of producers having zero worth for their beats and rappers expecting everything to be free from PR to engineering to everything in between.

I mean, I could type six or seven paragraphs and explain all of this, but I'd rather have you understand that
RAPPERS LOOK AT YOUR BEATZ THE SAME WAY YOU LOOK AT DRUM SOUNDS, VSTs and SOFTWARE, in general.

Firstly, let's move beyond the obvious, cliche and constantly listed reasons....um...firstly....

1) Why buy it when you can get it for free....
You think you aint doing no harm since it's just pirated, I mean you aint stealing it, just using it...it's digital, you know? They got MORE COPIES....
Apply that to your music, which is digital sitting on some site as an MP3 or underneath some youtube video about to be ripped...lolz
2) I don't know if I'm serious yet so I gotta get a bunch of work in before I know if this is for me......
3) I aint making no money so I.....
4) Beatz is a dime a dozen......
5) I would pay for something if I thought it was better. Right now it's useable, but not really as good as I want.
6) It costs too much. Whatever, should be ...like...12 cents.....
7) When I can afford it, I'll buy.

I could go on for another dozen.....but....

Now, that that list from above and throw it out.
Cause none of it is true.

No one want to spend money because you don't know that value of what you are being told to buy. And like any consumer you want MAX RETURN.
You know who buys digital goods? Someone who is inexperienced enough to just go out and buy them without thinking or someone who is experienced enough to understand the value.

Every beatmaker wants MORE drums and sounds. Why? You will always need more..You imagine making 10,000 beatz.
You need a lot and continuous resources. Plus, you waste a lot of resources while you're learning.
Every rappers thinks he's making 10,000 songs. That follows then.

If I asked you about buying a drum kit...6 sounds total. Showed you a link on the internet and asked you to pay $40 bucks for those drum sounds, you'd laugh. You'd say NOOOO WAAAAY. $40 is way too much. Now suppose those sounds were used in your hit record. Your first big placement. And someone on the internet(s) asked you to send those drums you used to him and he'll pay you $40 bucks. You'd say NOOO WAAAY, $40 aint enough. These are the drums to me biggest banga. That be MY SOUND!!! So you can see how things gain value to you by YOU adding value through usage. And so your beat sitting in cyberspace has NO relative value. You have a perceived POTENTIAL of its value. [Which is why you'll see sites with beatz at different prices]

What it is actually worth has yet to be determined.
That's why rappers shouldn't buy beats.

Why spend $300 or $3,000 on a beat and then make an okay song over it. One that gets dumped on to the mixtape.
When it's just as possible to find one for $30 and write a smash over it...
or get a hot one for free from some kid up the block who just started making beatz a week ago..
AFTER a song gets placed, its beat/music has value. Rappers know this (they aint as stupid as you think) and it's the same thing as valuing the stuff you've been using for years.
That's why even the most ardent crackers and pirates buy the stuff they use when they realize how important it is to what they do.

I would buy a beat to show the beatmaker I was serious about being a rapper and to get in his world as a business connect.
I would never buy a beat from someone or something I had no direct contact with or through. We need to have a relationship.
He needs to know who I am. If he can't answer an email or reply to a comment....
I would pay for his talents and NOT IN ANY WAY be concerned with buying 3 minutes and 30 seconds worth of instrumental.

So No, I wouldn't ever suggest buying beatz, but I would expect you pay for the music used in your songs.

If rappers shouldn't buy beats what should they do
Work with a producer instead.
Use free resources (Not use resources for free) until you bring value to whatever you have an interest in.
Don't pay, compensate.
Don't spend, invest.

I have no problem with cats selling beatz or trying to sell beatz.
I think creating a business entity is an important thing to do and also shows that you are, indeed serious.
Plus, it usually forces you to step your game up and actually create some finished inst music. I support the process totally.
It's when I see dudes thinking that's ALL THEY HAVE TO DO to inherit the kingdom, that I shake my head.

Griffin Avid, that was a really good post! Finally someone speaks sense on this topic, thank you.

I can see where grif is coming from but only in a perfect world.....
Once u have made multiple beats and u figure they are where they should be... u wanna begin to sell them...
Now i got a kid.... bills and i make beats....
Working with a guy until he makes it... sounds nice....
But theres millions of people n just as much money....

There is no reason why producer nor rapper should scour to find the perfect match....
-Only scour to get your name out there.... which means workin with a hit... or multiple duds

Back