Time it took to sell your first beat

Wicked Apollo

www.wickedapollo.com
So ive been taking music production seriously here the past 2 months. I love making music and its been a hobby for the past ten years. I wanna know how long did it take to make your first beat sale?

It took me about a month for my first sale to come in. I was messaging rappers on YouTube with my prices and sending them this trap beat I had made. It was definitely a fluke though.

I would suggest watching everything you do when contacting rappers and looking at how they respond. Make every rapper you contact better than the last with better emails. Just pay attention and always take notes.

A couple of months like 4 - 5 months. I was hooorribllee at beats omg lol I didnt even know how to mix for the life of me. Now Im about 5 years into it is when I can say ok I know exactly what Im doing. I was making beats everyday and night before work, after work, ideas during work and sold my first beat to an artist who heard my music online 150 dollar sale :) and Ive been working on that status since!

A couple of months like 4 - 5 months. I was hooorribllee at beats omg lol I didnt even know how to mix for the life of me. Now Im about 5 years into it is when I can say ok I know exactly what Im doing. I was making beats everyday and night before work, after work, ideas during work and sold my first beat to an artist who heard my music online 150 dollar sale :) and Ive been working on that status since!

What year did you make a $150 sale online? Sounds like a lot compared to 99cent beats

give or take about 5 years ago. It was online but I ended up talking on the phone with him, got to be interpersonal with customers sometimes. Well it was an exclusive beat, 99 cent beats are for leases and its not good to do that all the time only for specials/discounts or certain beats. Sometimes its a little bit of luck, being at the right place at the right time.

Thanks, just curious. A lot of producers are selling cheap now so I didn't think that would've been recent.

yea they are selling leases cheap but exclusives go for 100 and up. Depends on the quality of the music and what artists are interested in the music. I get 50 - 100 dollars sales here and there. But thats because I have my clients and my beats bang.

www.projectblazeproductions.com

Yeah I know all about it, I sell beats too. Moving to the project side and being the producer of an EP, Mixtape, or Album

Oh ok so your looking to be an exclusive for whole projects is my understanding. Thats what we all want as beatmakers/producers. We're talking about 500 - 1000 sales which is rare unless the artist is established and has atleast an investor and/or indie label behind them. Plus most artists dont want the same producer on the whole project unless they REALLY like the production. Everybody I've seen perform in Miami has ATLEAST 5 Vybe beatz in their project and dont even buy them smh lol thats another conversation.

---------- Post added at 03:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 PM ----------

How many sales are you averaging a month?

8 - 9 a month BUT not exclusive thats rare I've sold one of those in a few months since I havent really been promoting due to the mixtape project I've been working on. But between leases and writing songs about 100 a month in sales.

oooohh yeaaa you better believe it homie it has to be more like 50 - 100 sales a month. As a producer you should also be able to mix and edit thats another 100 - 150 a month but we're talking about beats.

How many sales are you averaging a month?
Just 1 a month. I just closed a deal and my beats will be going up in a couple of days on a leasing site. It's already a successful company and only has 3 producers.

Oh ok so your looking to be an exclusive for whole projects is my understanding. Thats what we all want as beatmakers/producers. We're talking about 500 - 1000 sales which is rare unless the artist is established and has atleast an investor and/or indie label behind them. Plus most artists dont want the same producer on the whole project unless they REALLY like the production. Everybody I've seen perform in Miami has ATLEAST 5 Vybe beatz in their project and dont even buy them smh lol thats another conversation.

Not all beatmakers have the same goals. I'm leaving my exclusives lower because I don't like leasing my beats to just anybody. I would hate to be on youtube and see any random rapper recording on their pc speaker making an "album" with my name. I pick out who I work with and I'm going to do most of the beats on their project's.

What does 500-1000 sales have to do with doing all of the beats on a project?

Yea im in the beginning stages of mixing and mastering. Need to get my hands on better effects software. Another route if your good at web design is making artist pages like a soundclick page. Good money there. I have no idea how to do that though lol.

I was considering that. I think it would be better once you have repeating customers and you could suggest they get a website done and offer your services. I know a bit about that stuff. I was also thinking about running a webhosting company

yea exactly. So what are your exclusives going for?? Leases go from 5 - 20 dollars. But I guess it depends on the market your targeting and the quality of the beats you cant have all boom bap beats and think your going to sell nothing but exclusives. Well random rappers do that all the time they can careless if its a lease on not, or if the beat is tagged all over it they just want their little youtube fame. Well you have to make yourself exclusive to certain artists so others see your value other wise your just another beatmaker like everybody else. You want to do projects, I hear ya but if you want to make money like that you have to have your name on many projects if not why would an artist go to you for a full project they rather buy cheap leases from different people and have a diverse project than to pay 1 producer for the same sound.

Im talking online sales to make some real moves you have to dominate the online market. Your talking about projects so that means BEING in the studio, working with the artist to develop, its much more personal ( which is the way it should be ). You have to have a resume with many artists project before all that. You need a track record simple as that.

---------- Post added at 03:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:14 PM ----------

Yea im in the beginning stages of mixing and mastering. Need to get my hands on better effects software. Another route if your good at web design is making artist pages like a soundclick page. Good money there. I have no idea how to do that though lol.

Yea web designing is a good way to go too. Thing is all this is multimedia from music, artists, models, graphics ect its all under the same thing. The more you can provide for a potential client the better because you can do the WHOLE project from creating the music to creating the album cover. Theirs like 50 departments in a record label lol

Right now im charging 20 for an mp3 quality beat, 40 for a wav beat, and 70 for a tracked out wav beat. That seems to be average around soundclick, from established producers. Im sorry but I just cant see how you can make money leasing for 1 dollar. I havent thought of exclusive prices. What do u suggest?

seriuosly, the market is cheap for producers.......that's why I prefer to work my own projetcs with my singer than just selling beats......

Back