For those who make beats

Thanks alex23

Very helpful, Alex23!

Just what I was looking for : a breakdown of sorts on the promo process. Are you schooled in business (self taught or university,I'm impressed!).
A quick question: What is meant by"single loop samples"?
Your ranting has been invaluable!! Alex the Analyst!!

One:victory:

good post Alex

can add summin?

"YES"

m-kay

my suggestion:

get a contract with the purchaser of your beat that allows you to recieve royalty points..... 3 at the least

you may never see this money due to the shadyness of this business but if you sell a beat for $1000 and it goes Gold in a single, your'e gonna be pretty salty when you realize how much loot you just lost

if your own neighborhood dont like ya beats then you prolly need to keep workin

the internet is filled to the brim with wack people
these wack people will love your beats and tell you how great they are when they really arent that good

this forces us to face the fact that nothings truly "wack" anymore
just listen to the radio
stuff i think is wack is at the top of the charts

this fact has also made it a good time to create your own style of music completely
be totally unorthodox and still be effective

BLAH BLAH BLAH

i got some new beats so peep those and bob ya head!

"visit us"

Re: Thanks alex23

blazemyl said:
Are you schooled in business (self taught or university,I'm impressed!).
You're flattering me, blazemyl :) No, I'm just very fascinated by the potential for self-marketing into new areas that the Internet provides. Since I'm clearly hoping to force my own stuff on people soon, it's very interesting to me :)

A quick question: What is meant by"single loop samples"?
By that I meant offering a single drum loop, maybe with one or two slight variants, as a single sample. If it's in a distinctive enough style, offers a unique sound etc write a lot of different loops in that style, mangle them through a whole bunch of complementary effects, mangle the new ones again in different ways, then compile them all and sell them as a themed set.

Your ranting has been invaluable!!

Hooray! I'm fascinated by so many aspects of the process of music making, so I'm always happy to share ideas and opinions :)

Good luck with shilling your wares :D

Re: I haven't had a problem.

Trusty said:
I get between $100 and $300 a beat. I've never had 'boke mc's who want a hand-out'. This world is definately not short on aspiring mc's who got mad loot and no beat-making talent. If you got good beats, they buy them. I sell at least six a month. Y'all need to STEP UP YOUR GAME!!!

Shiiitttt what kind of car do you got? :D

I am enjoying this thread very much. Wow, i have some new ideas thanks to Alex and you other guys...maybe all this beat work i've been doing for fun could turn into an income!!!

I am currently making beats w/ computer software and a sound module I bought with my high school graduation money. I am currently making beats for myself and friends to rap to(i am aspiring, err....daydreaming to be an MC).

It would be pretty cool if i could make some money off of what i love to do!!!

Anybody know what top producers like Kayne West or Hi-Tech make for each beat they sell? ---just curious

:bigeyes: still, damn...all that money for a bassline and some drums...anybody can do that!!!

You don't get it...For a bassline and some drums? It seems your bashing hip-hop, and obviously you prob. don't listen to hip-hop. Trust me, there's a lot more than a bassline and some drums, if it was just that comin from a producer, do you think a hip hop artist would pay big bucks for a beat from a top producer? Listen to something before you bash it...

Last edited:
Hey Nolimits3D...STFU you bastard. i was exaggerating what constitutes a beat to illustrate the ridiculous sum of money that top producers make for each track they sell to an artist. I think i know a little bit about beats considering my name "NICK BEATS"...did you even take time to read the name of the person you are flaming or are you just here to start fights? By the way, hip hop is the only music i listen to.

In the future try not to be such a floppy beef cheek!!!

I think the fact that anyone would pay such a ridiculous amount of money for any type of music is astounding. In the end, it's all just drums, basslines, and melodies. Is it really worth that much?

Nick Beats said:
Hey Nolimits3D...STFU you bastard. i was exaggerating what constitutes a beat to illustrate the ridiculous sum of money that top producers make for each track they sell to an artist. I think i know a little bit about beats considering my name "NICK BEATS"...did you even take time to read the name of the person you are flaming or are you just here to start fights? By the way, hip hop is the only music i listen to.

In the future try not to be such a floppy beef cheek!!!

Just because your nickname is "Nick Beats"(by the way, nice job on the dumb name) doesn't mean you know something about production, or anything to do with beats(not that I'm saying you don't). That like saying that I work for NoLimits records because my name is NoLimits3D...You see my point?
Also, what's a floppy beef cheek? :confused:

Definitely trying....

... I'm also one who tries to market my beats online, and for those I know off line, refer them to look online at the sites also if they don't already hear what I have burnt on a CD. I'm not selling outright copyright though... I'm licensing for demo or promo use for $100 and up... but yeah, the market online is VERY slow.. I do post constantly on boards, forums, and also relay peeps to the site or to listen to what I have, BUT, as was stated in here, EVERYONE wants handouts. People don't seem to understand that to make it in the game, you have to spend a little to make more. Everyone wanting handouts for a beat.. like things are just gonna fall into their hands overnight. You have the infamous "yo, let's collab" meaning, let me spit to your beat for free. That sh** sickens me sometimes.. I'll get 1 sale request, and 100 more handout requests. Then there's the infamous lines that are thrown also.. "I have connections with so and so, and so and so's brother who is affiliated with so and so... c'mon playa, let me spit to your beat so we can both be famous!"... I can see that some may be legit, but c'mon.. if that were the case, wouldn't they already be making loot somewhere? Then they could afford the beat with no problem. See my point? I'm gonna keep doing what I can.. promoting my beats, and hoping along the side, that my fam and their peoples complete the album they're gonna release by the end of the year with my beats on the tracks.. this will hopefully be my ticket. I enjoy making the beats for fun though, always have, always will. I just recently taught myself FL at the beginning of January, along with getting pointers from some of my peoples up in these forums (thanks for the tips!), so I have stepped my game up greatly from when I started 7 months ago. Still learning though, and still trying to make the sales. It's a rough biz this music sh**.. but you gotta go headstrong into it, push your sh** to the limit, and have confidence... otherwise, you gettin' eaten by the sharks in this ocean. Sh**'s rough peoplez, trust and believe. If there are any other tips for those of you selling online that you can relay, feel free to speak up. Something's gotta give. ha ha ha. One.

Genycis

Fumbling on Ecstasy said:
I think the fact that anyone would pay such a ridiculous amount of money for any type of music is astounding. In the end, it's all just drums, basslines, and melodies. Is it really worth that much?

No, not really. Say Swizz Beatz charges $100,000 per beat, that $100,000 is all he gets until the label/artist is recouped (makes back) of that 100 grand.

So once the artist makes over $100,000 then Swizz will start getting royalties. That $100,000 is basically royalties paid up front.

Take a Neptune beat, if you buy a Neptune beat then you're going to sell records, it's almost a fact...so it'd be worth the $100,000 for something that'll make you $500,000 in profit.

Genycis is on point. Struggle is on and if we didn't LOVE this we sure wouldnt still be at it... no matter how much loot was at the end of the road.(hobby vs career). I look at it this way: no one but myself is %100 committed so the 9-5 lets me : 1. Eat, take care of biz (kids n fam) and 2. Invest in the music, no on else is.

Like Genycis said,

You have the infamous "yo, let's collab" meaning, let me spit to your beat for free.

So true. Locally, it seems because cats know you, see you , youre accessible... and you know them...when money comes in the picture suddenly all that "feelin your beat "fades. So online seems better only because yer beats can be judged on their own, not "do I know him and he'll hook me up."

So many hot beats Ive checked from cats here! There's gotta be more MC's than producers out there feenin, right?:D

I agree if they're not hot or good production wise your not gonna see much. Theres lots of ways i'm sure to promote your music just give it a bit of thought.

I somewhat agree with you FOE about people not doing it for love but for money. I admit thats what pulled me in, I was origionally more into just electronic type, trance etc. After being sucked in by the promise of big money I began to actually like rap and hip hop...I realized after working on tracks I can't do the plain "beats" thing seems so lifeless to me I need to many changes . I use all my love of music now to make beats from all the genre's I like, so it's more for love now.....but i'm also doing it for the money. All apart of the masterplan to be able to not have to work my day time job then i'll work towards my own music.

Back