Those soul/nu soul chord progressions

N

nEpHyS

Hi, I've been playing piano (classical formation though) for some time now (some 7-8 years), but id really like to change direction :

Im looking frward to buy a good rhodes and wurlitzer emulation, but the thing is, i don't really know about these soul/nu soul chord progressions, and i haven't found any book nor website that teaches such music

Maybe I just don't use the right search terms, i dont know but id like to have your advice on this

to give you an idea of what id like to do here are some mp3 basic examples :

Thanks

A lot of it is based on jazz mate. And it's common to find classical pianists looking to go on a more jazz based journey. You have a huge advantage in terms of technique, your fingers should have no problems, but your theory needs to start thinking in jazz.

Learn your II-V-I around the circle of 5ths. That's a start.

Good Rhodes emulations.... Hmmmm. Well I have a Nord Electro, but I also have a Rhodes piano. If you want my advice? Get a real Rhodes, you won't regret it!!

thank you for the reply

i am currently learning the II V I progression (ive got the aebersold book for this progression), but it seems to me that it is not exactly what i'm looking for, "melody-wise"...

OFF topic: as for buying a rhodes, sure id love to have a real one, but I could only afford one instrument over 1000$ (im a student and these things are a bit too expensive for me)
actually, since i love that wurlitzer and B3 sound too, i was looking for a nice piece of hardware, like the electro. i know it is a semi weighted keyboard but i could be able to handle this. is it a good buy? are the rhodes and wurlitzer emulations good enough to justify the price?

Yea they are man. I dig the sounds. Of course no emulation will sound, act or feel like the real thing, but the electro is awsome man. You'll love the wurly & the B3..... :)

Any improvements for the V3?

And concerning my searches, i think the jazz style i want to play is called "soul jazz", but I cannot find any valuable info about this genre (specific harmonies or melodies or chord progressions)

Id like to have just a few examples of such progressions, does someone know where I can find these?

i don't know for sure, but doesn't soul use a lot of the same 'borrowed' or 'alternate' ii - V - I progressions as some cooler jazz stuff? For example, in C you might go Cmaj7 - Fmaj7 - A7 - Dm7 - G7 - Cmaj7 you know, using the A7-Dm7 as a secondary ii-V.

Yeah, it's exactly like Tweeter is saying. While you're learning the II-Vs they may seem not at all like what you're looking for, it's all about context. I guarantee the majority of the soul-jazz tunes you want to learn are utilizing II-Vs, especially relative IIs and interpolated IIs. That's really the starting point for jazz on all levels, also secondary dominants and extended dominants, all that good stuff. How good is your ear? Transcribe some tunes, figure out what the people you like are playing. Play with voicings, too, different tensions. start on the minor third of the II, then flat the 9 and 13 on the 5, then resolve to the one. so in C, play FACE (II-7(9)), FAbBEb (V7 b9 b13), EGBD (Imaj7(9)). You can do some pretty cool stuff with that.

it really helps to be familiar with blues, as it all comes from the blues one way or another.

chord progressions are relatively simple in soul... shouldnt be too hard to figure out a few. whenever i am doing something "soulful" i tend to throw in a 7th chord somewhere to jazz it up a bit. also, the beatles are good to study because they were good at creating tension in their chord progressions (sexy sadie, mother natures son, blackbird, etc). chris cornell kind of picked up where they left off on his solo cd "euphoria morning" which features some really soulful singing over tense chord progressions.

concerning rhodes/wurlitzer recommendations, the NI elektrik piano is the only way to go imho.

nEpHyS said:
thank you for the reply

i am currently learning the II V I progression (ive got the aebersold book for this progression), but it seems to me that it is not exactly what i'm looking for, "melody-wise"...

OFF topic: as for buying a rhodes, sure id love to have a real one, but I could only afford one instrument over 1000$ (im a student and these things are a bit too expensive for me)
actually, since i love that wurlitzer and B3 sound too, i was looking for a nice piece of hardware, like the electro. i know it is a semi weighted keyboard but i could be able to handle this. is it a good buy? are the rhodes and wurlitzer emulations good enough to justify the price?

i am currently learning the ii V I progression

FYP

Back