Synth for Old Westcoast sound

Stepin

Hi everybody.

I'm producing since 2 month now, got my computer with an MPD24 and i'm enjoying it.
But now i would be able to also produce westcoast sounds.

I'm 500% strictly old school, that 90's era sound. As i don't know anything about synth that are using for all that stuff (physical, analogical, i don't understand), i'm asking y'all what is the best synth for my use, as i'm :
- not a professionnal and hard skilled
- doing old school stuff (the quality of the sound doesn't need to be exceptionnal, but the sound itself need to have that old school typical sound -> Chronic 92 by Dre, The Twinz, Above the law...)
- my budget is around 300€ max (approx 400$ / 420$)

Do i only need a synth that can be used with the help of VST, or does the synth can produce that sound by turning on some buttons ?

Thanks for all.

Tweakbench has a free VSTi called "monomate" that can be used for some very old school bass sounds and if you turn up the "glide" function and put it on a high octave you can make those high pitched lead lines remniscent of the early 90's.

Any subtractive free synth can make that sound. Or a 3xOSC synth. There are many free vst-i synths out there that are great.

Also, not sure where I got this one from, but I have a good bass synth called Odo B-station. Lots of good sounds on that one.

Alright, thanks for all that free stuff !
@ObinTheIncredible : Fl Studio 7, 2Ghz Athlon, XP pro

But how do you manage all these VST ? i already tried to use 3xosc with my keyboard but lol, that was hard as hell !
If there's a lot of free Vst that can produce this type of sound, i only need a synth to control it ?

I forgot to mention that it will also be usefull for my basslines.

Hit my blog up. I got some synth sample if your pc cant handle some vst's. If its older Id save resources for mixing.

OK i've found the sound i want.
Now to control it with the VST, i need something else than my keyboard.
So any simple synth will do the trick then ? As i don't need piano sound and all that, just a way to make music easier.

Thank you all

Back