Startup equipment Advice/Suggestions

th3fridge

I realize this has probably been asked here a lot, but I was looking for some of you experienced producers to help me out starting up a life-long dream of mine. Specifically, equipment suggestions I need to go from square 1.

I have roughly $2,000 (3 max if needed, but I'd like to keep it under 2) I've stashed to this point strictly for this endeavor. I figure thats enough to get started with equipment I wont outgrow in a short time.

First of all I realize this is not some hobby you buy your way to glory in, rather it is a mastered art and so I hope no one takes offense. To start, I have minimal experience of actual production, just playing around in FL for a while until now since I have the funds to get serious. I have spent a good deal of time researching and learning the craft as much as I can without actual hands on work. I just need the resources now to log time on.

A few things in addition;
- I'm looking to make hip hop beats mostly
- I already have a custom computor I built that should be able to handle just about anything
- I currently have FL studios and Ableton Live installed on my computer, not sure If that makes any difference.

I appreciate any and all suggestions/advice.

I think you already have most of what you need…….to complete with your Ableton, you might invest in the Push controller…I think it's a nice add to what you already have…from there you will be quite good for a while...

If not….just grab yourself the Maschine studio….and a few packs…..and there you go!!!

As for sound card..I like Apogee Duet 2…..quality price ratio it's a bargain!!!!

i agree with fumanshu. a midi controller would be great.

will you be recording any vocals or live instruments? if so, you would need to make sure the soundcard has enough inputs. and a mic stand and pop shield.

If you do record vocals….something like a Blue mic is a very good starting point….

They are not cheap but I find that they do sound good!

Back