Starting my first youtube channel..

wavygrvy

Should I give away a free beat or two in the beginning of my youtube channel? I have a few tutorials up and im thinking about giving a free beat or two away to gain a small following, then releasing more tagged beats with the link to my website to purchase them. If i shouldnt give away free beats in the beginning, what would be a good way to gain a small following in the beginning? I want to help noobie producers as well.

Pretty much the same though process I went through couple of months back. Been producing roughly about 8 years, but decided I want to finally start a beat project that I never had since almost all of my production was used in other projects as an artist or just left unused. Started out from nothing and didn't even want to promote this project to friends or anything, just from scratch, so this draws a pretty nice picture for you I think. I thought I'd put out couple of free beats and that'll probably gain me some kind of following if the beats are good enough.

Now it's 8 free beats and 52 sc followers later... Don't know, I think it's been quite a rough road for the amount of work I've already put in and only for half a hundred followers. Also I don't think it's because my production value would be that bad or anything (you can draw your own conclusions if you want by listening my stuff from soundcloud or one track down on my signature). I obviously didn't give away my best work yet, but I honestly thought it would still be a little bit more rewarding giving away free stuff. I guess it depends on how good your beats are, but if you are willing to put out free beats just don't expect too much.

Wavygrvy,

What are your goals? Do you want to be known for production advice? Or selling beats? Or are both of these just advertisements for you as your own artist?

I'm planting the seeds to go public myself. Trying to figure out how to best approach this if I'm going to be making a living from music. I have some interest in selling my services as a track maker for other artists. More interest in making an engineering tutorial channel. More interest still in collaborating with other artists as an artist myself. And the most interest in being a solo artist.

I'm also trying to find that balance of how much is good to give away and how much is good to sell. But I'm thinking of it from the perspective of an artist entertaining fans, not an engineer trying to build a client base.

Content is key if you want internet following

now the question, as it has been asked above, is why you want following? Sure you'll get followers for tutorials (maybe one of the easiest, quickest way to gain internet following), but do you want to be known as "the tutorial guy"? or do you want to promote your music?

Patience is also key, patience and quality content, if you post good music, share it also on other social networks, eventually, you'll get a following for that music. But I don't think "luring" followers with "free beats" and a couple of tutorials will benefit your music's exposure by that much, or your credibility.

There are tons of musician's YT channels out there, if you want people to follow you for your music, you got to manage to make the best music you can, hope it's good enough so people will respond to it positively and want to share it with their friends too.

I see, I have some beats that contain samples that i didnt clear, can i give these away for free on youtube? legally? if the artist wants to make money off it wont he have to clear it? not me?

Back