Recording vocals - Multitrack Recorder?

floodedjesus

Hello guys, I'm new here so apologies if this question gets asked a million times!

I would like to record guide vocals over instrumentals in my bedroom. I've been told that an 8 track recorder can do this job but as I'm new to production I would like some advice on what exactly I need.

- Multitrack recorder
- Mic
- Mac (with Garageband?)

Anything else?

Budget isn't really an issue so all types of suggestions welcome

Thank you!

If you're looking to get into this heavy and budget is not an issue, I'd recommend Pro Tools over Garage Band. Much better workflow. Highly recommend Mac over PC - and I'm not an Apple fanboy, I just find myself spending *far* less time maintaining my Mac than I do my PC.

If all you're ever going to do is one vocal at a time, you can go with less in the way of track count. That said, I started with 8, got addicted to recording, and upgraded to 24 so I can record full up live shows :-)

I recommend the Focusrite Saffire 56 for an 8-channel (expandable) interface. You get 6 of their stock preamps, and 2 limited versions of their Liquid Pre's, and they all sound great.

The sky is the limit when it comes to microphones - there are great tools anywhere from $100 to $10,000. I typically like a condenser versus dynamic or ribbon. I really like the C414, but it's $1,000. They also do a cheaper C214 version ($400). The RE20 is a good dynamic mic ($400) for vocals, but much darker naturally than a condenser. I also use the AT2020 ($100). There's a similar version AT2035 ($150) that has a 10dB pad and low cut built in.

Plenty of options out there, man. Post back if you have more questions!

Back