Reason..HELP!!

tanseer

I just got reason today and while i am really overwhelmed by the software i really havent got a clue as to how to program the synthesizer without a keyboard and the manual is always refering programming with the keyboard and i havent got one.
my question is...do i need a keyboard to program the sounds in reason or will i be able to use all of the functions in reason without a midi keyboard?.
pls help.

yo tanseer,

:o You can use the sequencer in Reason without a keyboard, if that's your question. The sequencer is the main area where a MIDI keyboard is fully used, although you can use it to control other paramaters. But these parameters can also be controlled by a mouse/keyboard.

To use your mouse in the sequencer, click on the edit/arrange button in the sequencer area. In that window you should see a piano roll. Select the edit tool and then you can use your mouse to draw out values and to move them up and down the piano roll, etc.

So essentially your mouse can draw out the values like a keyboard. Difference is that you have to manually specify the value and velocities, etc.

In the end though, get yourself a MIDI controller if you can. It will make your job of composing and arranging that much smoother.

Good luck! :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
midi controller

thanks for replying,i am trying to get going with reason and the sequencer,i do intend on getting a midi comtroller but i have absolutely NO experience playing a piano,is that a big disadvantage?,also how much will a simple starter level midi key board cost me?

Back