MPC 4000 tutorials

Y

Young1

Does anyone know where to get tutorial DVD's or online tutoring for the MPC 4000 I visited this site supersonica.it but it's not functioning (can't buy access codes) I sent an email but it bounced. I am new to the MPC I have been using FL Studio and have just got the 4000. I am reading the manual and I have seen plenty of "beatmaking" videos "youtube, google and so on" but most of these videos are just prople making beats and not actual tutorial instruction. Any help is appreciated.

I also would like to gain some understanding as to why or if it's better to have a turntable connected to the MPC to sample records instead simply downloading mp3 file of whatever record you want to sample to the PC then edit the mp3 file in say...Live Audition then load the sample to the MPC and from there edit the sample as needed and send it to the pads...... Why would I start buying records to sample when every record I could ever want I can get online "free" maybe someone can guide me. Go easy I'm new to the MPC and I'm starting off with the 4000 just got it a few days ago so I'm trying to learn all I can.

*Anybody in my area wanna link up and share the learning curve hit me up........

thanks all!

myspace user mrbeatmaster

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Well read the manual a few times
play with the mpc while you are reading it

also check out
http://www.mpc-forums.com/

2. there many reason why people like records vs. mp3

there a lot of music that never made it to mp3 yet
so there are rarer samples waiting to be found

most like the sound of vinyl over mp3
and there more of a feeling people have with having records

but if you happy with the mp3 then keep doing so you but keep it on the low

and P.s. there no going easy you have be ready to hear and go through some bad sh!t in music, music business ,and life so be ready

What all are you looking to do on the 4? It's a beast of a machine. I still haven't gotten a lot of the functionality down, just the main things, like sampling, choppin, trackin, efx, creating programs, creating multi's. Stuff like that. If you're looking for specifics, just shoot a pm, if you want to know it all, you're gonna have to use the manual and play around with it.

Best thing to do with the 4 is setup a Template midi file and create a multi with sounds you mainly use and create a folder called AUTOLOAD. Save your template and multi in that folder so everytime you start up your 4, your drums/instruments load and you have a template ready and you can just bang out.

As for record's vs. mp3, mp3's are compressed to make it a smaller file, opposed to .wav and I'm sure someone will corect if I'm wrong, but the dynamics are squashed when compared to records. But it is preference. Not sure if you bought a used 4 or a new one, but you should have a cdrom player, burn songs to cds, make sure they are .wav files, and just use that to sample from. You don't necessarily need a turntable. And if you do want a turn table, I would suggest getting the Numark PT01 portable turntable. It's cheap and get's the job done. Once you learn how to sample and edit your samples on the 4, you're not going to want to mess with the software, cause it's so easy. I only use software to time stretch cause I haven't "learned" how to do on the 4, which is a shame, cause I'm sure it's simple, but you get the idea. The 4 is a beast of a machine. It's gonna take a while to get everything down, but like with any other musical equipment, practice. You'll get the hang of it.

Thanks for the feedback

I appreciate all that say. I have a brand spanking new MPC 4000, I have been playing around with it (few days) I just got it last week (Thursday) AND so far I have managed to learn to pull samples into the pads after slicing, so I can play the samples on the pads. But I am still having trouble understanding how to make the sample in such a manner that when I hit the pad the sample plays and not force me to hold my finger on the pad to play the entire length of the sample. That's just one thing I am sure there will be tons more but that's where I have progressed to thus far. I will continue the reading and learning and I may invest in a few tutorial dvd's if I can find good ones. Anyone know of any good ones online (free or otherwise)

Oh yeah that's an easy one, in the program edit windows, can't remember the function number buttons without seeing, but you need to get to the one where you assign your samples to your pads, hopefully you're doing this by Programs -> F2 -> scroll for the sample. On that screen I think F3 is tune or pitch, then F4 is Edit1, F5 is Edit2 and F6(forgot the name) but this is the page you want to be on, this is where you can layer up to four sounds, cursor down to the lower half and change the column that says "As Sample" (I think, could be wrong) change this to "One shot". That will make that pad play the entire sample. I'm sorry if I got the names or the function buttons incorrect, I'm so used to doing it that I don't look at the screen and what's on there. I just change it to what I need.

That's wassup

Imma go try that when I get home I'm at work at the moment. I sent you a messaage on your MySpace that beat Baby Baby is slick!!!! I have tons of ideas in my head and sample of stuff people would even dream of I'm just ready to get this out and into real sound!

I just got my MPC 4000 aboout 2 weeks ago & i love it i thought it would take me a long time to learn but it didnt i read the manual & did 1 thing a day load kits one day sample the next etc. I sold my MC8000 i for the mpc & thank god i did but u will get the hang of it trust me just stay on it if ur determined it's a wrap.

I just got my MPC 4000 aboout 2 weeks ago & i love it i thought it would take me a long time to learn but it didnt i read the manual & did 1 thing a day load kits one day sample the next etc. I sold my MC8000 i for the mpc & thank god i did but u will get the hang of it trust me just stay on it if ur determined it's a wrap.[/quote]

Last edited:
Does anyone know where to get tutorial DVD's or online tutoring for the MPC 4000

I would checkout samplekings.com

After getting my 4k, I signed up for their school instead of getting the DVDs, because I have a lot of gear (hell yeah:victory:) that I also get access to videos on. Just a word of experience, I got a 60 about two years ago and figured it out fairly quick, but the 4k is deep, real deep.

Last edited:
Soundsforsamplers has finally made a Tutorial DVD for the MPC4000.
It's massive almost 3 &1/2 hours long.
Link:
Akai MPC4000 Tutorial video / Mpc 4000 Instructional DVD & custom sounds.

Does anyone know where to get tutorial DVD's or online tutoring for the MPC 4000 I visited this site supersonica.it but it's not functioning (can't buy access codes) I sent an email but it bounced. I am new to the MPC I have been using FL Studio and have just got the 4000. I am reading the manual and I have seen plenty of "beatmaking" videos "youtube, google and so on" but most of these videos are just prople making beats and not actual tutorial instruction. Any help is appreciated.

I also would like to gain some understanding as to why or if it's better to have a turntable connected to the MPC to sample records instead simply downloading mp3 file of whatever record you want to sample to the PC then edit the mp3 file in say...Live Audition then load the sample to the MPC and from there edit the sample as needed and send it to the pads...... Why would I start buying records to sample when every record I could ever want I can get online "free" maybe someone can guide me. Go easy I'm new to the MPC and I'm starting off with the 4000 just got it a few days ago so I'm trying to learn all I can.

*Anybody in my area wanna link up and share the learning curve hit me up........

thanks all!

myspace user mrbeatmaster

Back