Mouse vs Trackball?

EYK

I know the title sounds a bit goofy, but the bottom line is if you're editing music on the computer you're using the mouse a lot. I've been using the trackpad on my laptop and it's been hell. I once had a logitech gaming mouse and that thing had some weight to it so the movement felt real fluid and accurate.

On the other hand I've been thinking a trackball might be nice.

To anyone that has used a trackball, how is the feel compared to using a mouse? Which do you prefer? Why?

I use a mouse but I'd like to get a trackball eventually because using a mouse at a desk eventually takes it's toll on your wrist. With the ball, you can use that somewhere with a more friendly angle to your arm. When my wrist starts hurting from using the mouse on the desk, I try and use the mouse on my leg for example. Doesn't work all that good, I'm sure results would be better with the ball.

I have a reg mouse, trackball mouse, trackpad on my laptop, and a trackball pad.

By far the hardest to use (until you get used to it) is the trackball mouse. When doing things very precise it is a pain in the ass.
The trackball pad I like the most because when I went to school and used the Icon D-Control, it is very similar to the ball that is built into that. It's all a matter of personal preference but I will tell you right now, it takes a long time to switch over to something else when your used to just a mouse.

Here is the trackball pad I have:
K05-1002-callout1.jpg

Here is the trackball mouse I have:
41NPPK37JCL.jpg

Last edited:
I never had a problem with my wrist hurting from using a mouse. Maybe its my mouse, or desk, or mousepad. What hurts is being used to a keyboard and mouse and using a laptop... Especially when your trying to zip through some work.

If you're having wrist problems, I'd suggest at least trying out a Wacom or similar drawing tablet - though it might seem a bit pointless/expensive if you're not doing any graphics work. It's not for everyone (me included), but on the other hand I do know a lot of people who just work with tablets.

As far as mice go, Logitech's Performance MX is the best I've encountered so far.

If you're having wrist problems, I'd suggest at least trying out a Wacom or similar drawing tablet - though it might seem a bit pointless/expensive if you're not doing any graphics work. It's not for everyone (me included), but on the other hand I do know a lot of people who just work with tablets.

As far as mice go, Logitech's Performance MX is the best I've encountered so far.

Maybe wrist was wrong.

When I'm on the computer for extended periods I start getting "tennis elbow".

OH and the apple magic mouse is definately not worth the money. just sayin

Just curious, why do you say that? I love my Magic Mouse and the price is not that bad at all considering everything it does. You can get one new for around $50 or a used on in great condition off eBay for around $25
I think the Magic Mouse is by far the best mouse Apple has made in a long time.

Last edited:
The mouse can be a problem if you are repeating the same movements all the time, I find that using keyboard shortcuts and MIDI controllers helps because it breaks up those movements.

Back