Most superproducers are performers?

WillOldham

Has anyone else noticed that the most successful, famous and richest producers are also successful performers who help write songs, sing hooks, rap verses and appear in videos? Dr. Dre, Pharrell, Timbaland, Kayne, Swiss Beatz and Lil Jon are the highest paid producers in the world they also happen to be rappers. These guys don't seem to be charging money for beats but complete songs, lyrics, advice and there l names and studio's. It also seem to create longevity having your own fan base and not losing when your sound goes out of fashion a la Scott Storch.

hmm not necessarily you can flip it and say look at how many superproducers are out there that ARENT performers in that same sense

^but thats the thing...I dont think there are any producers that are classified as super producers that DONT do any of that. And I just thought about it. What is a super producer? To me all those people that were named are great but I think what makes them super is their names. Their names sell tracks and songs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I agree with the OP as well. I think in a generation, all artists in this genre that are anything of note are going to wear multiple hats: artist, DJ, producer, engineer, etc...Those who are learning every aspect from composition to final mastering, those are the ones that will be at the top.

Those rappers out there looking for tracks from other people are gonna be hurting then, because a lot of producers are gonna keep their heat for themselves and be their own producers first and foremost, and deal with everyone else last. but since the artist/producer/dj/engineers are gonna be so common by then, beat-swapping so the artist/producer/dj/engineers can get a variety of tracks among themselves will be more common then selling beats.

Dudes that can just "spit and that's it" will be mostly useless to the multitasking artists who collab and work together on the labels in the next generation.

Last edited:
theres a big difference between a producer and a beat maker. a producer sees a song all the way through. The write the song or at least help, they're there to oversee the recording process, and the mixing. a beatmaker makes a beat and thats it. So to be a producer, all the jobs you stated above besides rapping is kinda required. and yes there are super producers who dont rap. what about just blaze. the other half of the neptunes (forget about him?). Also, scott stortch has rapped before and he is a super producer. But like I said, the reason you tend to see producers take on all those roles is because thats what a producer does. They make sure the whole song is a great turnout starting with the beat and ending with the mixing. They dont usually oversee the mastering lol. and a beatmaker just sells the beat and thats it.

The OP lacks perspective, which is unfortunate.

There are producers - whom you may not have ever even heard of - who could buy and sell everyone on that list twice over and have change to spare.

Stop looking at things as though the whole world revolves around hip-hop and rap.

WillOldham said:
Has anyone else noticed that the most successful, famous and richest producers are also successful performers who help write songs, sing hooks, rap verses and appear in videos? Dr. Dre, Pharrell, Timbaland, Kayne, Swiss Beatz and Lil Jon are the highest paid producers in the world they also happen to be rappers. These guys don't seem to be charging money for beats but complete songs, lyrics, advice and there l names and studio's. It also seem to create longevity having your own fan base and not losing when your sound goes out of fashion a la Scott Storch.

Calling Timbaland a rapper requires a very loose definition of the term.

well I think what your trying to say is that...

the highest paid producers......have the total package (rap/produce/sing/perform/what have you)

and all the examples you gave are all hiphop artists.....pop artist in the case of Kayne

Trusty said:
Those who are learning every aspect from composition to final mastering, those are the ones that will be at the top.

How long do you think it should take somebody to learn all of those aspects realistically?

Trusty said:
Those rappers out there looking for tracks from other people are gonna be hurting then, because a lot of producers are gonna keep their heat for themselves and be their own producers first and foremost, and deal with everyone else last.

this is one of the reasons i don't even want to really work with any artists...i make all of my beats for me...i thought that i was the only one that was a BEAT HOG...

Trusty said:
but since the artist/producer/dj/engineers are gonna be so common by then, beat-swapping so the artist/producer/dj/engineers can get a variety of tracks among themselves will be more common then selling beats.

Dudes that can just "spit and that's it" will be mostly useless to the multitasking artists who collab and work together on the labels in the next generation.

EXCELLENT POST...

:sing:

dansgold said:

There are producers - whom you may not have ever even heard of - who could buy and sell everyone on that list twice over and have change to spare.

Stop looking at things as though the whole world revolves around hip-hop and rap.

[/thread]

[F_or_DEAF] said:
How long do you think it should take somebody to learn all of those aspects realistically?

Nowadays, about two to three years if someone works at it every day and reads up on it. The whole "years and years" of experience is irrelevant now. The curtain has fallen, people are more DIY these days, and only those who profit otherwise from those tasks, like studio owners, will deny it (for obvious $$$ reasons).

For one thing, in the age of myspace and soundclick, the unwashed masses hear the high and the low quality in the variety of .mp3s of the stuff they listen to, from their neighbors band to the rapper across town, to the top 40 artist up in the charts...and all of those, and all that is in between, make up the contents of their iPods...and they enjoy them all the same.

But in all actuality, I appreciate those people with years of experience that are willing to share their knowledge. The smart ones have gone into design with software companies coming up with presets and teaching courses and things like that in addition to their studio work, as its about the only way to stay relevant (look at how many studios are closing, and those that have stayed at the top have branched into what I am describing).

However, I have no problem going to a major studio and letting professionals do all the recording, mixing, and mastering work for me, but I'll never do it unless someone else like a label or management is footing the bill, and even then, it would still depend on how much they want out of the sales to recover those costs before I saw a dime...and if that amount were to cost me more than it would for me to get the high enough quality outboard hardware gear and do it myself...I'd still do it myself.

So, for me, it is a take it or leave it with studios, "industry standard Pro Tools HD", and the over forty-five y/o engineer crowds with all those years of experience. I'll keep learning how to get close to a retail CD with what I have by doing an A/B comparison and practice.

I haven't been to the "big studio" in eight years when I spent twice what it would've cost me to buy the software DAW and plug-ins and do at least as good a job as the engineer at that studio closest to me did. I learned my lesson.

It's only those with a rash of audiophile snobbery that all this matters...And they wouldn't buy 95% of the music on the market anyway...including those audiophile snob wannabees that surf forums like this.

Last edited:
dansgold said:

Who are these people you speak of? i'm aware that guys like Rick Rubin, Quincy Jones and Phil Specter are very successful but I am unaware of how much they make.

Start adding people like Roy Thomas Baker, Trevor Horn, Mutt Lang, Alan Parsons (maybe) to your list.

Then check their discographies, and consider how much of their work fits in the "all time classics" category.

Back