most productive way to lay down patterns?

Cee High

I've been gifted with a Moog Sub 37 synth for Xmas and I just bought a used MicroKorg to compliment it. I want to quickly lay down different patterns, going from one synth to the other & back and build a track up that way. lead synth 1st from the microkorg, an arp pattern from the microkorg & a bassline from the sub 37 and so on...

What would be the best way to sequence these 2 synths and keep them playing on time with one another? An MPC 1000 (2 MIDI Outs & Ins) or a DAW with a interface?

A big question I also have is if I have a lead patch selected on the MicroKorg and I wanted to MIDI sequence it on track01 and keep the notes I just played on loop and then I wanted to lay down an arp patch with the same MicroKorg on track02, if I switched patches, would the lead patch from before be overwritten or would the MIDI notes I recorded for the lead patch, play back the new arp patch?

I'd like to know if it's possible to choose, for example, a lead patch on the MicroKorg and record a MIDI sequence and have it loop. Then, go to track02 and use the same MicroKorg to record a MIDI sequence for an arp patch. Would the MicroKorg play back both patches on each respective track? (ie lead patch on track01 and arp patch on track02, playing at same time)

To answer your question. If your keyboard is multitimberal it can play more than one sound. Usually up to 8 or more. Mostly all multitimberal keyboards are digital. Now analog like a vintage moog no. It can only play one sound at a time. Easy way around that is just record a loop from your analog stop record save it then create a new audio track and you can move on to a different sound on your analog. If I remember the micro korg is digital and can play more than one sound at a time. And if your daw has midi out and your keyboard has midi in then you can just do that with no need for a mpc. Only issue with using midi out with software is latency and it can make your playing off time. depending on the speed of your computer, audio card, buffer rate, bit rate, ect

Last edited:
A microkorg is 1 part only. You will have to record it into a daw for each layer you want from it. The midi notes wont trigger another patch. This is why it's not very expensive.

Good look in sorting out latency and loop round midi delays, if you want real time vst FX on your synths too.

If I had a MIDI interface connected and had my Audio playing through my audio interface, couldn't I just play along as normal and have the DAW record my MIDI notes? And if any lag got in the way, I could just go into the MIDI note editor and quantize notes on the grid? Then once I got my notes playing the correct time and order (ie fixed wrong notes, etc.), record as audio and just have the new AUDIO on loop, as I get ready to record my next track from the other machine?

So basically, just use MIDI to make sure that my notes are correct, then use that MIDI sequence that is quantized in the editor to tell the synth which notes to play and record as actual audio. So when I want to lay down my 2nd track, I could use the newly recorded audio track as my backing track to play along to?

( my pc specs are an i7-4790k quad core 4.0ghz, 16gb ram )

Last edited:
Back