mechanical and performance royalties...

F

FIX

can anybody explain this to me? ...is there anymore type of royalties that i need to know?

performance royalties are royalties you get for having your songs performed, ie. radio, clubs, bars.

Mecahnical royalties are royalties you get for the permission of having your song replicated. A label has to pay mechanicals in order to press up CD's. Movies and TV shows have to pay mechanicals in order to use your music. Bands have to pay mechanicals in order to cover your songs, and have them affixed to a CD.

There are:
sales royalties
synchronization royalties
publishing royalties
overseas licensing royalties
Licensing royalties
I'm not getting into explaining all of these. There are plenty of books, and web articles.

Performance royalties are collected by performance societies (such as BMI, ASCAP & SESAC) when a song is played publicly. The set amount is split 50-50 between publishers/songwriters.

Mechanical royalties are paid to the publisher(s) of a song by the record company. The publisher(s) then split that with the songwriter(s). If a songwriter is their own publisher, they don't split it with any songwriter(s) below them.

When a song is used in a movie or on television, the producer of the film or TV show must get permission from the publisher. That is called Synchronization Licensing ("sync license" in short).

There are quite a few different types of income generated from the release of a record but you have to understand how they work in order to take advantage of them. That comes from experience.

Back