Major techniques of beat shuffle

kawi77

Hi guys.I noticed leading producers do beat shuffle every now and then to give more rundome elements to spice up the tune.
For example here at 00:43
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Mk_K_pvacA
or here at 1:50
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnrBjZ4iFAk
Also another question is how does bass line or other sounds behave?
Is bass silenced when another instances of kick appear?
Are other extra kick notes lower velocity/pitch, attack or decay parameter changes?
I am sorry for so many questions.

1. I think by shuffle you mean how there might be a somewhat random repetition of the Kick drum. You do this be either using some form of beat repeating device or in an arrangement simply inserting more kicks into a given space.
2. The bass in this kind of music is often sidechained so as to lower the volume briefly when the source (the kick) is playing.
3. As I understand it, the parametres of the kick do not just, just more repetitions of the kick.

This is a simple variation in a (kick) drum pattern. No "major techniques" or "beat repeating devices" needed. If you want to change up the bass or the kick's parameters, go ahead.

You can be right as more experienced but are those extra kick variations shorter notes or snappier.Maybe it is my impression only.It seems to me that with same kick lenght you would not be able to pack them up as 1/4 or 1/3.For me it would sound horrible and artificial.Can anyone do screenshot of randomized kick notes as anything i do soes not make sense.If you start move kick notes this would colide with hihats.What would be ideal note lenght for that extra notes?1/8?Let's say in lenght of full 32 notes, would randomize be at lenght of two last notes or earlier?

Last edited:
Firstly, the kick drum has its own track. Imagine the following, where h= hi hat, k = kick and - denotes empty 16th notes
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
k--- k--- k--- k--- This is a bar with no variation

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
k--- k--- k--- kkkk A variation in 16ths

Sorry for no pick, I may do one later

I do understand structure.I am more far ahead.This is more roll or fill if you prefer.I am talking about additional kick notes with more human factor.Like drummer will never hit drum in same time and same power.Any regular roll conststing kkkk would sound like machine.I am talking about some kind of swing not codilind with other percusion notes so does not sound off.

I can absolutely guarantee you that if you applied swing to the kick whilst the rest of the percussion remained at a steady interval it would sound atrocious. Perhaps try offsetting the kick slightly if you want but I don't recommend a swing feel unless the rest of the rhythm section was also swinging.

Back