Looking for cyberpunk 80's type synths and drum beats

netrate

I am just getting into making some music for myself. I am really into the sort of cyberpunk synths /drum beats such as:
makeup and vanity set - a glowing light, a promise...

From what I gather it is old 80's synths? Is that true?
Also, I have an ipad air, could I start with that - garage band - and branch out to something more robust when I get better at it?
And for drum tracks, if there an easy way to get into it? I remember having an older version of Fruitloops lying around somewhere...
thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I would say to get your foot in the door you could play around in garage band. but I think if your going for more of an 80s synth feel you should look into getting a good synth and learning how to make some sounds. garage band isnt really good at all for making your own sounds. The app store has some fun things to play around with especially on the synthesizer end. FL can be good for making drum tracks but I personally like to use ableton live. I think theres a dude on youtube " tom cosm" is his name, and he has great ableton tutorials that fit well with what you want to accomplish with 80's sounds, and you can apply that to other softwares as well. Really any DAW that you can understand and feel comfortable with would be a good way to go. Remember its the ear, not the gear. Hope this helps some

Check out my beats here: https://soundcloud.com/teammachine

Not sure who that is but I would research the following:

The genre
The tools
The effects common in said genre
Whether or not it's possible in whatever[ automatically is if edm related]

But this is basically the case of researching edm as a generalized thing.
Free drumkits all over the net.

Took a quick glance at Makeup & Vanity Set's FB page - no actual old synths in sight. Nor there's any need for those to get this kind of sound, which is all about processing, those dreamy arps and the right context (as in the retro-futuristic 80s vibe so many synth artists are going for, the drum sounds etc.). The actual sounds are pretty simple and could come out of almost anywhere.

IT's pretty easy to emulate in digital synths those retro sounds you want for. Don't forget the basic wave shapes (sine, square, triangle, saw). That's basically what they had back then.

Yep, studying the hardware synths that software emulate [the knobs and faders if there are any and the stuff they had built in]
And this knowledge transfers over to most synths (thousands) except some synths that ignore that completely, like synplant.

It seems like most analogue synths look alittle like subtractor tbh.

Don't forget the basic wave shapes (sine, square, triangle, saw). That's basically what they had back then.

In the 80s? Yep, besides all the wavetable/digital/additive/FM stuff :)

Anyway, the reference we were given is a modern band (that uses Elektron devices & modern Moogs for example) that has a retro vibe, mainly being synth heavy and using gated drum reverbs. Not actually sound meticulously produced in an 80s fashion.

Back