Listening to mix on various audio appliances

czeski

Hiho!

When you do your mix - do you listen to it only on your headphones, or do you do it on speakers, maybe both of them? I want to have my mix sounding as best as it could sound on every device and i have Sennheiser HD201 and some very cheap speakers. How can I take advantage of that? I guess that would be good idea to listen to it on speakers and on headphones. But then how to balance the mix ideas between two of the devices?

Thanks

You shouldn't ever just leave your mix based on what you hear in headphones.. sometimes you get a little lucky and it turns out great on speakers, but usually it's a guessing game and you don't really know what you're getting until you try it out. It's not so hard to balance the mix when hearing through both speakers and headphones. The headphones can be great for spotting those tiny little details, like odd notes and peaks that are sounding weird (assuming you got a good pair of headphones). But one thing that headphones really can't do is bass, and an accurate sense of distance, as in where in the mix the sounds are sitting. Just listen to your mix in both, and if something sounds off on your speakers, like something being way too high in volume, odds are it's right, and you should probably lower it.

I've learned to trust my monitors more, but when I check a mix, it's usually in my car. That's where I listen to a lot of music too, so I can easily do an A/B comparison with other studio-recorded (not radio) music.

i usually listen to monitors and mixing headphones but it can't hurt to listen to your mix on regular headphones too since that's what most people will be listening to the song on..

Back