Less Is More

I just wanted to encourage you all who are building out your studios - bigger and more expensive is not always better. Yes, there are things that any engineer will tell you that you shouldn't skimp on, but some of the best tools are actually the cheaper ones.

I bring this up partly because I just bought a pair of 'nicer' earbuds that brag about their high technology - and quite honestly, my little $15 JVC marshmallow earbuds sound better. I'm kinda disappointed...but stoked at the same time, because my favorite headphones cost less than a typical restaurant tab :-)

A better example: the $99 Shure SM57. This microphone is an industry workhorse for guitars and drums in the studio and on the road, frequently chosen over microphones that are more than 10x the price. Why? It's simple, reliable, and sounds great. Fun fact: it's also been the official podium microphone of the last 9 US Presidents (since 1968).

So all this to say - find the people that are making great music, and ask them what *they* use, and how they use it. You might be surprised what you find out.

Back