jamming on the keyboard - techniques

N

nandaiyo

Hey folks,

I'm an aspiring pianist/keyboardist who is trying to play at a level where I can take any melody and chord progression/chart and just jam.

Right now I am at a very basic level - my left hand plays octaves and the occasional arpeggio using the middle fifth. My right hand plays a melody line and some harmony too when appropriate. This was great and all when I was younger, but now I really want to fill my playing with transitions, fills, and rhythm riffs. I understand that every style is different (jazz, pop, rock, etc) but in each of these styles there are abilities and techniques that I am pursuing and would love to hear what you have to say about it.

Some artists that I admire for their piano abilities are Tori Amos, Elton John, Ryuichi Sakamoto and Billy Joel, just to name a few. I would love it if those of you who play piano (either for your own music or for a band) and can jam, would share some techniques to adding color and style to the playing.

Thanks! :D

It really helps to develop an ear for changes and progressions first. Once you learn to play by ear (or trial and error), the motions will become more natural. You can just be expecting to start playing chords and a melody and most people aren't going to tell you what key they are playing in, so work on your ears before you play.

Thanks Shaq,

I totally agree! Being able to play by ear allows you "freedom" on the keyboard in that you become familiar and comfortable with the different key ranges and chords. In a sense it quickens and builds the relationship between hearing it in your head, and playing it with your fingers.

Right now I am practicing the C modal, which is easier because they are mostly white keys. I can't wait to be comfortable in any range on the keyboard, but till then it's practice, practice practice....

i definetly aggree that developing an ear is the most important step.

also another thing is try and play with other people a lot

after that its just practice paractice practice
for the kind of finger proficiency you seem to want,
i think some kinda excersize book like t"he virtuoso pianist" might be good but maybe it will be too frustrating.

the best thing i think is to practice with a lot of others

I leaned to play piano by ear since I was 5 years old as mentioned above its fredom to experament with melody counter melodies while combining random chourd changes.

Iv never had a piano lesson in my life Iv just heard what I like and bring it into my new learning curve and still do now. :hello:

Just Work Hard

:hello:
I would reccomend just working hard
Keep on trying to get that sound you want
:cool: Its what many artsts/djs/producers do they aim for one goal "Make it sound the way you want it to sound" some people may like it and others will not everybody has a diffrent style :)

Peace
Djtux :cheers:

Hey nandaiyo!

Hey man.

I am a piano teacher in Canada and might be able to give you a little help.

You are focussing on the wrong notes in your left hand! The root and the fifth are the LEAST important notes in the chord. If you're playing a Jazz tune with lots of seventh chords, make sure you've got the third and the seventh before anything else. Power chords are for mindless guitarists who can't play anything but alt crap. If you want to keep it interesting harmonically concentrate on the 3rd & the 7th. Trust me!

To learn how to fill the gaps with interestinf fills riffs etc. Learn some pent scales, blues scales... stuff like that. The easiest way to start is to just play the root of the chord in your left hand and play around with one of those scales. Then do the same with the next chord. Those scales have made many people millionares so LEARN them if you haven't already.

Just remember "if you don't have a 3rd in the chord...you don't have a chord" VERY important that you wrap your head around that. Your playing will improve in a big way if you embrace that concept.

If you want to learn more about those scales I was talking about, you can get back to me.

Keep at it man! You'll get it...it just takes a little time.

skip

Back