Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I think I'm gonna give up on producing

Thanks

I think I'm gonna give up on producing

Sign in to disable this ad
    Been producing just over 3 years. I'm at the point where I have probably 150+ beats just sitting in a folder on my drive (that's not every beat I've made, just from last year or so when I started getting good) . I've started a youtube and soundcloud in recent months but no ones biting. I've sent out dozens upon dozens upon dozens of instrumental to artists big and small - nothing. I know Im just having a bad day, but I am very close to just giving up. Hell Im not even concerned with 'clout' or money or whatnot, just with having the opportunity to have ANY artist ride over ony of my instrumentals, but I now question why I put so much effort into this after my dead-end 9-5 office job if it's just a waste of time. This shits like a popularity contest.
    Last edited by JeromeBeats; 02-14-2019 at 08:11 AM.

Thanks
    Are you at Beatstars? If so, I'm in need of free tagless instrumentals for practice and I'll credit you in name for non commercial release. PM me for my handle.

Don't quit but reevaluate why you wanted to bother learning production and all it entails in the first place.
    Last edited by OGBama; 02-14-2019 at 08:16 AM.
    "Once black music leaves its original context, it begins to take on different meanings and serve different functions, and it is interpreted very differently." Portia Maultsby

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by OGBama View Post
    Are you at Beatstars? If so, I'm in need of free tagless instrumentals for practice and I'll credit you in name for non commercial release. PM me for my handle.

Don't quit but reevaluate why you wanted to bother learning production and all it entails in the first place.
    I have a bit of a music background, having played piano and flute in high school band. I started producing mid-way through Uni when I struggled with depression. After a few years and gaining mentorship from engineers, I upped my mixes, and have been uploading to youtube and soundcloud consistently. Money doesn't even concern me much, just the validation from having rappers/artists enjoy my creative work so much that they're willing to hop on a track, but that just hasn't been the case. I've really been questioning myself, my future (I'm 24 and working a boring ass 9-5 office job), and what I should do with my life because this market is just too oversaturated too shine. Also don't even know if I'm making trash music or not....

Thanks
    Stay creative.

The #1 issue that folks like us run into is that no one knows we exist, lol ... So you gotta figure out how to let em know you exist.

If you can afford it, spend a few bucks a day advertising your youtube channel. I'm at the very beginnings of this strategy, and I'm still trying to figure out if it's worth it but I'm slowly starting to build a subscriber base.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Agent 234 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The last thing you want to do is get discouraged. If you have a ton of music just sitting there, I would start to use it in editing together some videos to score. That will give you practice in another area of flexing that creative muscle. Use your music as a back catalog of film scores or licensing tracks like OGbama said.

Thanks
    Lol bruh if you're thinking of quitting just after 3 years than maybe its not what you really want to do. Some people been doing it 10 years plus still learning and trying to get on. You're saying recently just started putting them up on youtube and soundcloud, its gonna take time to build your brand. You can't just enjoy the vision you have of yourself on top of the mountain, you gotta enjoy the climb as well or when things don't go your way you're gonna feel like quitting.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MacksAMillion For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I agree with this 100%

Thanks
    keep on going man it's a grind

Thanks
    Tbh, clout means nothing.
    I'd say focus on making content people wanna listen to.
    Spend days on songs instead of hours.
    Learn more than the basics.
    Consider a new platform that is convenient for xbox/ps/ pc users like Spotify.
    Producer since 2010.
    Tecmo, Ubisoft, Bandai, Marvel, Arc.

Thanks
    Send me your best beat I'll get someone for u

Thread Information