I need help making professional songs with limited equipment

P

Platinum Status

Until I get enough money to build a home studio, all I have is a JVC Mini-Disc recorder and a microphone. Do you think it is possible to get a professional sound using these two things and Cool Edit 2000 with Studio and Audio Clean-Up plug-ins?

Let me know if you have any tips for Cool Edit 2000 to make it sound professional...

essentially no but technically yes

you'd haveto have an amaizing mic and mini disc recorder and typically most of mixing is skill. . .so it's you that makes it sound good. . . and it depends what you consiter professional. If you have majic ears you can record on a cassett deck. . .and I had a friend who can do kick *** recordings with one. will it have a chance at regular rotation? hell no. Can you make something with adequate effort that you can not be embarrased to sell? yes

YES, it is possible...

it might be more productive to get a keyboard though.

until then.... sample, sample, sample

And hit up this website for some free software:

http://www.hitsquad.com

Chronos

Well if you're not making 'dance' music but more traditional 'song' based music then what you've got is a great place to start. The guitarist in my band uses Cool Edit Pro to record all of his tunes at home - I couldn't say with my hand on my heart that they're 'professional' quality (whatever that means) but they sound good and he's just had two of his demos re-recorded by our band on our debut album, so I guess he must be doing something right.

And if you are doing more dance-based stuff, don't be put off, you can probably use cool-edit for that as well - but I would think it would be pretty hard with almost no other gear. On the other hand it would be pretty hard to record 'band' type stuff with just yourself and a mic:D

get yourself some demo programs like acid, hammerhead, and fruityloops and you'll be on your way. You'll quickly gain resourses, though- and before you know it you'll be answering questions like this

(my first ever song used only microsoft sound recorder, goldwave, and hammerhead)

-Lodger

i am more of a newbie then the guy who started this thread. i got fruityloops for free. and havent got the hang of it yet. chrnos what do u mean sample,sample,sample. because i want to make a song with a beat from the movie full metal jacket. i am getting a job soon, if i earned like 5 gs what would be the best to get that sound from the movie

are u gonna help or what numbnuts. i will earn 5gs eventually kid. i m gonna save up and get some good hardware. i am thinking about buying either an mpc 4000xl or a yamaha motif. whats sampling mean:cheers: :cheers:

well i think your best bet is to spend $5000 on equipment and then youll have time to figure out what sampling is. :D

If you got money, its a whole nother story.

5g could set you up a nice studio. An MPC would be excellent for making the beat, but sampling ( trimming the sample ) on an MPC2000xl is an evil task.

I haven't worked with the MPC4000, but it's supposed to make the sampling process much smoother (you can attach a computer monitor and mouse to it). The MPC 4000 and a tight synth is probably all you need to spit out the Full Metal Jacket beat, and a sh!tload of quality tracks.

If you can squeeze in an audio interface for your computer (motu 828 or Digi 001) you would also be able to lay down lyrics in a professional manner.

Chronos

i like that studio on the website chrnos. i think i would lay down some ill lyrics in there:cheers: :cheers:

Back