i finally got my studio setup......pix.....

1900hustla

was up my guys. I finally got a table and shelves for my home studio. check out my pics and let me know wut u guys think. I have a mpc 2xl, microkorg and turntables and a dj mixer for sampling, as well as monitors. What do u guys recommend i get next? what am i missing?please post any ideas.
thanks

here's the link :

http://hometown.aol.com/itstha1900hustla/index.html

p.s.-check out the transformers next to the mpc..lol

From what i can see (its to small) it looks pretty clean and organize the way i like it, nice set up

1900hustla said:
was up my guys. I finally got a table and shelves for my home studio. check out my pics and let me know wut u guys think. I have a mpc 2xl, microkorg and turntables and a dj mixer for sampling, as well as monitors. What do u guys recommend i get next? what am i missing?please post any ideas.
thanks

here's the link :

http://hometown.aol.com/itstha1900hustla/index.html

p.s.-check out the transformers next to the mpc..lol

I say get a cheap synth module like a Kurzweil ME rack, Emu Proteus 2000, Yamaha MU 80, or a Roland XV-2020/JV-1010 and be done with it. Also get a cheap mixer to hear all your gear together. Me, I use three pieces of gear plus turntable/DJ mixer, and CD player...The mixing board (not the DJ mixer) I use to here all those at the same time is a $40 Behringer UB 802. :) All you need to start making hot beats, to me, is a sampler, a sequencer, a VA synth, and a ROM synth. You have all but a cheap bread and butter Rom module.

is that a Microkorg i see? if so, what are they like?

safe.

here i fixed the pics for you so we can see the big pics

mvc-023s.jpg

mvc-024s.jpg

mvc-026s.jpg

mvc-027s.jpg

mvc-028s.jpg

mvc-030s.jpg

mvc-031s.jpg

mvc-033s.jpg

mvc-034s.jpg

Last edited:
Looks tight! And not a computer to be seen. :) If you decide to take my advice though and get a small mixer and a synth module, you may want a better pair of monitors than those Rolands first...Even some Behringer Truth monitors would be a big improvement. The Transformers are a nice touch.

P.S. I am glad to see that I ain't the only person on FP that needs to do some sit-ups. :) I think beer guts are a requirement for hip-hop producers...we all seem to have them.

thanks to all who replied.in response i wanna add
to vexman-i like the microkorg.i think its a nice add on but not a main synth.its good for basslines
to krayzie-thanks for fixing pictures i appreciate the help
to trakarkitekt-i got the tables at my local ikea store for pretty cheap
and to trusty-i apprecitate the input.i was considering a small cheap mixer to go wit my set up. as for tha racks im saving up for a motif so i dout ill go that route. i am however upgrading my monitors.and i agree wit tha beer belly joke.........lol

can anyone help me in choosing a recorder? i am stuck between a m-box with protools and a digital recorder?
i would lik to know which has the best learning curve and if the m-box is worth it.
anyone please help....

Last edited by a moderator:
I would get,a m-box,cause you get 32 trs to record on,but,you only have 2 i/o.

1900hustla said:
thanks to all who replied.in response i wanna add
to vexman-i like the microkorg.i think its a nice add on but not a main synth.its good for basslines
to krayzie-thanks for fixing pictures i appreciate the help
to trakarkitekt-i got the tables at my local ikea store for pretty cheap
and to trusty-i apprecitate the input.i was considering a small cheap mixer to go wit my set up. as for tha racks im saving up for a motif so i dout ill go that route. i am however upgrading my monitors.and i agree wit tha beer belly joke.........lol

can anyone help me in choosing a recorder? i am stuck between a m-box with protools and a digital recorder?
i would lik to know which has the best learning curve and if the m-box is worth it.
anyone please help....

I use my gut to prop the keyboard on when typing. :) Dig into that MicroKorg a bit, it has a killer MS2000 engine in it (the only engine Korg I like). It could be a main synth if given a chance to shine.

I think that the motif would be a fine buy if you got the cash...but I would also have you take perhaps a second look at the Fantom XR for a few dollars more. (or even a Triton rack if that's your thing) as they have a built in sampler on them that might free up the MPC's sample time a little bit. Room to breath if you will.

If you get a DAW you won't need a mixer. It'll do both jobs just fine. I have a killer computer and a Firewire 410 interface. The computer can handle more than a DAW if it is a top notch computer...but computers have their own set of problems. Also, like a MBox, I can only record two tracks at a time (or one stereo track). Which is fine by me since I have the time and it forces me to listen to my music track by track and I can plan in advance what I am going to do with it as far as EQ, level, and effects and what-not. But for the cost of the 410 and the computer I could've had a VS 2480. But if I had that I might think what more flexability I would've had with a computer. There really is no better, though the self-containment and those moving faders make for a sexy alternative to ixing with a mouse as I do (until I buy a controller). Maybe when I am rich I'll have both... So I can be of no help here. Needless to say with the pro's and con's of both you really can't go wrong with either one. But the MBox has no midi out so you'll need like a M Audio uno usb to midi connection device to sync your gear up with the computer and pro tools software. BTW, they are both fairly easy to use.

thanks man i apreciate the input. i was kinda leaning toward the m-box as well.

Ha Ha! I seen your belly button. :D LOL

At first, I was like what the hell is that? Now I know. When I grow up, I want a gut just like you.

OK, now the studio... You look pretty straight to me, you don't really need anything else, but it could help. I suggest to get a nice mixer like someone stated above, one of te racks (fantom X or Motif), the sampling on the racks shouldn't be that big a deal, you could just jack it up with all the expansion cards, saving you the need to sample instruments (although you might want to sample melodies or something), then get a nice MIDI controller, if you play keys, and want to get complex with your stuff, I would suggest 88-keys. And definitely upgrade your monitors, as well as lose those transformers.:D You should be good after that, what do you record on? Lets take a looksie...
A microkorg
An MPC2000
A mixer
A DJ mixer
A set of turntables
A sound module
A new pair of monitors
And a MIDI controller...
Yeah, you're straight.

Honestly though, if you aren't a Mozart on the keys...the MicroKorg controller will work as good as anything. I do think a module with sampling can only help because of the limited sampler inside the 2kxl. :) Just my opinion. The sampler in the fantom rack is better than the sampler in the MPC 2000XLX. Notice I said 'the sampler' not anything else.

Back