how many beats per minute is the average rap song

It depends on your coast style...... Most songs are mid tempo 80-120bpm. In the south, we set the tempo at a high speed then lay the instrument parts at half speed to get those crazy 64th & 128th drum patterns you hear in records. I saw my cousin do a track at 200bpm. Usually only electronica music has music in the 140-200bpm mark.

Last edited by a moderator:
rando said:
Whatever YOU want it to be.

Usually "YOU" dont determine the BPM of the AVERAGE rap song on the radio.

the average bpm of a hip hop song is around 80-110 bpm.

Last edited:
I'd say 70 - 100. When these guy are saying they double up and the tempo is 160 you have to cut that in half so your tempo is actually 80.

Patrizio said:
It depends on your coast style...... Most songs are mid tempo 80-120bpm. In the south, we set the tempo at a high speed then lay the instrument parts at half speed to get those crazy 64th & 128th drum patterns you hear in records. I saw my cousin do a track at 200bpm. Usually only electronica music has music in the 140-200bpm mark.

That's one, but cumbersome way. I've been getting that done since FL Chopper was in FL. Takes 3 seconds.

It could also be 89.7543...
Depending on the headphones you're using.

From what ive been told the industry standard for singles is 70-120 bpms five or take 10 bpms. Even if u experiment with the high 150-200 bpms it usually should sound like half but just experiment and you'll find a comfortable range in which you enjoy your beats' tempo to be

bdondaunique1 said:
From what ive been told the industry standard for singles is 70-120 bpms five or take 10 bpms. Even if u experiment with the high 150-200 bpms it usually should sound like half but just experiment and you'll find a comfortable range in which you enjoy your beats' tempo to be
Is that printed on the Protools manual?

Sqito said:
I would say it's 96.4325 BPM

I'd say closer to 96.4321 or 96.4322.

If they do it like you said, people will look like they are dancing on fast forward.

Sqito said:
bdondaunique1 said:

Is that printed on the Protools manual?

yes. But it words it differently. It says that the industry standard for singles is anything except the range of 61 bpm through 69 bpm (and also excluding the doubled tempo value in that range)... give or take 5 or 10 bpm

Last edited:
dvyce said:
I'd say closer to 96.4321 or 96.4322.

If they do it like you said, people will look like they are dancing on fast forward.

What do you think how the 'chinmpmuk' effect was invented? ^^

yes. But it words it differently. It says that the industry standard for singles is anything except the range of 61 bpm through 69 bpm (and also excluding the doubled tempo value in that range)... give or take 5 or 10 bpm
I should buy myself an m-box just to read this one page of the whole manual.
Definately worth it. lol

RIQ said:
thank you

Listen, it is obvious you are not understanding that just about every bit of information in this thread is either:

1. useless;
2. ridiculous; and/or
3. a joke

people are kidding when they say something like 88.482261 bpm

If someone says something like 70-120 give or take 10 bpm... that would mean EVERY POSSIBLE TEMPO IS INDUSTRY STANDARD... do the math

Any of those ranges people are giving are such wide ranges that they make no sense... it is like saying the average height of a man is between 4 feet and 7 feet tall.

The songs you hear on the radio can be any tempo... if you know a type of song you like, just listen to it and figure out what the tempo. If you are not able to do this, you must be in the absolute earliest stages of attemptine music production (I am not trying to be insulting but it is the truth... so i mean no offense.) Figuring out the tempo of a song should take you less than 30 seconds.

Back