How do you guys usually do your drums?

uheclipse

I recently moved from logic to Fl and so im getting used to this step sequencer. i really like it for my drums.

I enjoy playing my drums out on my keyboard more than using the step sequencer, but at the same time i think my drums come out better if i just click them in.

how do u guys usually lay out ur drums?

i always play from midi usually a skeleton kick,snare and hat then build from there. Drawing in sounds is boring to me.

I've always step sequenced my drums when the option is there. Easier for me to control intricate patterns. Everyone works different, but I hate dealing with velocity shifts and offset timing by hand. I'd rather just lay out a pattern and edit afterwards to add more realism.

I normally start off the step sequencer, then, in the end, I always send the notes to piano roll. I don't know why but I find it easier to visualize when placing ghost notes, percussion and messing with the velocity of the hits.

I use the step sequencer for my kicks and snares and then record in other stuff like percussion and hi hats. I dunno why, it's just the way I work! ha.

I recently moved from logic to Fl and so im getting used to this step sequencer. i really like it for my drums.

I enjoy playing my drums out on my keyboard more than using the step sequencer, but at the same time i think my drums come out better if i just click them in.

how do u guys usually lay out ur drums?

Play what I can, sequence what I can't

Pretty much by step sequencer only, then editing them in the song-field where I see fit.

Make sure your 'Oxonial' Commentarial Systematical Analytical Drum'Stick's System is Common to the Inheritance of the Practice of the INFLUENCED, AND, SYSTEMATICAL, SYNCOPATIONAL, SYSTEMATICAL CONSTRUCTUM.

Meaning, the Drums 'SHOULD BE,' IN THE WRONG SIDE OF THE 'FORUMATICAL,' Incantation, of the 'Incarnational,' forces, of the System of Systematical Reduction.

In truth, and, In regards, THEY MUST BE SEEN AS THE COMMON CONCERN.

Now, it must be said, AND, TRUTH BE TOLD, THAT.......
The Systematical Analysis, comes down to the fact, that, In regards to this, THE SYSTEM OF THE MESSAGING, TO THE 'TRUTHOR'S,' Authority, is on the Same Fence, as the System of 'THE,' WHERE DO WE GO 'THEME.'

That's just the way it is.

Just make sure it 'SOUNDS,' Nice. :)

Now, also, WOULD I 'WOULD' LIKE TO POINT OUT IS, THAT............:

In regards to the Common-Sensical Issues of the Time's'Period, at hand; it must be said, and, truth be told, that:
In regards to the Common 'NON-' Sensical Issues, the Deeper'Layers Pack, of the Package, is common to the CONCERN OF THE DRUM'S YOU'RE BEATING WITH.
Meaning, THE DRUMS MUST BE SEEN AS THE 'SAVIORS OF THE SONG;'

They're ABSOLUTELY, ESSENTIAL.

Now, In regards being cautious.
Be sure to the Banialility, Meaning: Cause some DISTRUST, AND, DISTRUCTION, ON THE SENSE OF ADDING SOME GRANULIZER-FORCE, LIKE I JUST SAID.

And, also, Make sure, as I 'ALSO,' ALREADY, Previously mentioned, and, hinted at, is the fact that:
Make sure your 'Interpolation,' methods, are fine.

Cause for a 'Distrust, of Distructional 'A' Force, That's just the way it is.

Meaning, go for a Distrust on the Bottom of, AND, ON, THE LOWEST OXONIAL NOTE YOUR 'DRUM-SOUND' ALLOWS.

This causes the Same Sense of Entitlement, In regards to the Systematical Production, of, and, from, THE DISTRUST OF THE DISTRUCTION OF THE SOUND.

One Final Note of Caution.
Make sure you 'DON'T GO TOO LOW,' Otherwise, the Same Sense, OF, AND, FROM, CAN BE SAID, OF AND FROM, TO THE 'CAUTIOUS' Behavior, of the Same Sense of Entitlement.
For, DRUM SOUNDS MAKE OR BREAK A SOUND, OF A SONG.
For, A SONG, IS THE SAME AS TELLING A STORY IN A 'BOOK.'

That's just the way it is.

Now, in regards to this, the Sensationalistic, Common, Sensical, Issues, of time, ARE:

1. The Placement of the Natural Sounds on the Commological MAP, AND, 'MAT,' OF TIME.
2. And, also, ONE FINAL NOTE OF NOTICE; DO NOT PLACE THE ISSUES ON THE SAME TIME-MAT-PLACEMENT, OF, AND, FROM, AS: THE SAME INDUCTIONAL 'O-FORCE-OXONIAL-NOTES,' COMING FROM THE SAME INDUCTIONAL PERIOD OF PREHENSION.

That's about it.

Take care, and, I HOPE YOU LEARNED SOMETHING FROM THIS.

I 'DO' SUSPECT, 'QUITE A FEW,' Will disagree with me.....
But, that's fine, I've got 'Zero,' Problems with that.
Everything's fine with that.
Take care, and, have fun.

All depends what i am sampling at the time. If the sample calls for more hard hitting drums i use piano roll if it doesn't i usually just click them in.
I just recently made a jr writer type beat since he ask for beats, and i use the regular pattern just clicking them in, but i seperate my drums in each pattern so the beat flows nicely. One patter could be 8 bar the n ext drum patter can be 4 and i can then leave blocks open so the beat can have it own drop out and i wouldn't have to create a automation.

I like using the step sequencer and then changing the velocity with piano roll. But once i get a drum pad im hoping to just be able to use that.

nothing here is set in stone...lay the sample first or sometimes the drums...whatever comes to mind at the time. I am all MPC based though. I could not imagine "clicking a box" to lay down a snare or a kick...weird to me...but to each their own...whatever works to make good music is all that matters.

Last edited:
I usually make one drum pattern using step sequencer with hi hats kicks and all. then i cut and paste to different patterns so i can drop whatever in the song. i do that two or 3 times so i can have sum variety then ill make some extra kick patterns and for hi hats i usually click in a basic pattern then send to piano roll if i wanna do rolls. im odd cuz i could use velocity for snares but i usually just add the same snare twice and reduce the volume of the second one and leave it dry (no effects) and add reverb and compression to the first snare. if i have long bass notes i eq some frequencies out of the kick and bass notes or make them lower so they don't clash. or if im really liking the song i might chain the two so when kick hits bass notes drop a lil. i like higher freq on hi hats so i usually eq them too.

Even on the old TR-808 I tend to use tap to enter notes as opposed to exclusively using the step buttons simply because it can be quicker and more intuitive, but the step buttons sure do make editing a pattern much easier and you get a good idea of structure due the visual representation.

Definitely enjoy playing them on my keys or pads rather than clicking them in. Clicking ain't no fun.

Last edited:
Back