how can i get da sound from a keyboard to my computer?

JLoon219

i dont think iz MIDI cuz MIDI only helps you get the keys you play into the computer not the sound.

to not confuse you what im sayin is...

say i set the keyboard to violin
how can i get that same violin sound from the keyboard into the computer or a beat?

or can you use MIDI for that? i dunno?

all that is controlled by midi. as long as your keyboard is midi you'll be good. you gotta make sure you have it hooked up correctly. most keyboards will be hooked up to a computer using USB cables.

WUTS THE KEYBOARD YOUR WOKIN WITH?

A few things I need to know before I can attempt to assist you:

What software are you using on the computer?

What keyboard are you trying to get sounds out of?

How is it interfacing to the computer?

He wants to get the analog sounds pre built into his keyboard onto his computer. What you want to do has nothing to do with MIDI you need a cable that is a quarter inch on one end (like the kind that goes into a guitar amp or something) and is a regular line in jack on the other end (like the kind on headphones or a computer mic) then stick the quarter inch side into your analog out on your keyboard then the other end into the Mic jack on your computer (pink) at that point you should be able to straight record it.

Wow, what horrible information...

MIDI and AUDIO have nothing to do with each other.

This is what the connections should look like.

COMPUTER: AUDIO IN <-- AUDIO OUT: keyboard

That's it, unless you want to use MIDI data first, then have the MIDI data playback and play the sounds on your keyboard, you'd have to use the MIDI setup like this:

COMPUTER: MIDI OUT --> MIDI IN: Keyboard
KEYBOARD: MIDI OUT --> MIDI IN: Computer

Then you'd have to turn the LOCAL OFF on the keyboard itself.

You really should list your gear so I can help better.

ok Notable i am a beginner so right now im usin fruity loops & CASIO LK-45 nothin much but it suits me for the time being

and can sumone send me a link to how that quarter inch on 1 sided cable that goes into the mic jack into the computer from the keyboard may look like for i can probably buy it sometime this week

Last edited:
He wants to get the analog sounds pre built into his keyboard onto his computer. What you want to do has nothing to do with MIDI you need a cable that is a quarter inch on one end (like the kind that goes into a guitar amp or something) and is a regular line in jack on the other end (like the kind on headphones or a computer mic) then stick the quarter inch side into your analog out on your keyboard then the other end into the Mic jack on your computer (pink) at that point you should be able to straight record it.

Yeah that works. Since my keyboard didnt have MIDI i got my brothers guitar cable that connects to the amp and i plugged my keyboard in the "line in" jack in the computer and started recording. But it sucked cause i couldnt edit nothing since its not MIDI. But thats the way i would get my keyboard sounds to the computer.

You write the piece first in MIDI, making sure all your playing is tight, then record the edited sequence as audio...

i've googled and i can't seem to find out if that casio has a 1/4" out or a 1/8" out. is the plug for the headphones small, like walkman headphones, or larger, guitar cable sized? you need to run a cable from that output to the in on your soundcard. i'm assuming you're using an onboard soundcard, since you didn't specify otherwise, which would mean it's a 1/8" jack. so you either need a 1/4" - 1/4" or a 1/4" - 1/8" cable. if you wanted to go the route of recording the midi data, then sending midi out of your pc to the keyboard, and recording the audio back in, you'd need a soundcard with midi in and midi out (or a usb-midi device). let us know what you've got for a soundcard, midi i/o, what's on the back of that casio, etc, and i'm sure we can help more.

It shouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what kind of (audio) cable you need by just looking at the inputs and outputs...

^^ Seriously, how old is this kid? 10?

I can honestly say that I've been hooking up my family's TV/Audio centers since I was like 8...

If you don't know what a connector looks like, there are plenty of pictures, all over the internet...

I think krushing has a link to the forum with the diff. connectors.

Krushing, was my post not clear enough?

Your post was very clear. I was just sort of amazed how clueless one can be...I mean, if you've ever even hooked up a stereo or used headphones, it should be pretty clear what audio connections look like.

sup guys. i'm trying to do the same thing. just got back from radio shack and bought a 1/4 - 1/4 cable.. stupid question but... how do I start recording? I'm using audacity and I started fiddling around in the preferences. On the Audio I/O tab I set the Playback Device to "MOTU Main Outs" ( since I have my speakers connected to the main outs on my soundcard) And on Recording I set my device to "MOTU analog" and my channel to channel 5 since I plugged the cable to that in obviously... This was the only thing I messed with in preferences... when I click ok and then click record I get an error message that says, " Error while opening sound device, Please check the input device setting and the project sample rate" My sample rate was set to default and I've even tried going lower but I still get that same error message.

Any suggestions?

If you have a MOTU interface, have you checked the included software packages?

Not that Audacity is horrible, its just not that great, and get really tricky with technical issues.

I think you may need to run ASIO4ALL for Audacity to work right, but don't quote me on that one.

I would check out your MOTU control panel and see what your settings are there first, then try it again.

I think MOTU packages a program that records with it, maybe Digital Performer? Not sure the software, but you should have better results with the software included.

Sorry I didn't answer the question, but when using such a nice interface, I'd think you'd want that to translate with the software as well.

You're only as strong as your weakest link, and you don't want software (last link) to ruin your chain for recording.

Thanks for replying PhobikONE

Motu did come with software but unfortunately it's only for Macs.. =(

I will check my settings again and also try ASIO4ALL.

Only for MAC?

Man, if its still under warranty, it might be beneficial to you to call up MOTU and tell them your situation, as well as request a PC disc, and they should accomodate you.

What MOTU are you using?

When I say ONLY for Mac, I mean just the recording software that comes with it (Audio Desk), which is for Macs only. It comes with the driver software and the cuemix software for PC though. Sorry for the confusion.

Oh and I'm using the Ultralite.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, dude you have a long way to go then... Havent you ever recorded from one tape deck to another?

Back