Hit tha ground runnin..

Aye Freezy

So ive been doing tons of research on this site and others about equipment and the right set-up for me. Im not lookin for any shit talkin, jus a lil friendly advice to a newcomer lookin to get it. Jus let me kno if everything will work together alright or maybe future complications i might run into. Any insight onto starting out and my chosen set-up is welcomed. Thaaaaanks yo.

-Getting a new mac desktop so no worries there
-Reason/Record and Recycle combo
-Axiom Pro 61
-Mbox 2
-KRK RP8s

Im going to be doing heavy sampling but yet composing as well so would this be good enough to do so.
After that, im planning on adding a nice mic and possibly a better controller for sampling.
Again, thanks for not talkin that shit and remembering that this is a music site built to share knowledge not hate.

You don't need a Mic for sampling.. what you have there would serve you well for years.

Ightt thanks for tha reassurance. N yaah i ment to say a nice mic for recording and possibly a separate second controller for sampling. Good idea?

Pretty nice setup you will have there. As far as the Axiom goes have you tried it out in the store or anything? Id suggest doing so if you have not. I went to pick up an Axiom and ended up getting an MPK61 instead. The only reason for that was because of the pads and a little bit more functionality on the MPK's side. The Axiom keys in my opinion are better then the MPK though. After you get use to everything i would for sure pick up a mic. You going to be having a good time with the set up for sure though.

For sure man thanks.. n no i havnt checked it out yet, but i feel thats gunna b my best choice since im not gunna need tha pads on tha mpk. Im gunna jus use the axiom for melodies n shit n get a seperate pad controller for sampling n drums. Cant wait to get started tho, tryin get this music out my head.

It all looks good, but what do you have for sounds? What Refills do you have?

Uhh i dont have anything yet, these are all plans for the near future. But wut about refills? Please tell me more im looking for as much information as i can before i get everything.

I'm guessing you only want to digitally sample? No vinyl? Also if I were you I'd get a cheaper controller. You can get an m-audio oxygen 61 much cheaper and spend that extra $400-$500 on an external HDD (trust me it's worth it), MPD, and keep the rest for something down the line. Or get an MPK. I have the axiom and honestly I like the feel of the mpk's controls much more than the axiom. Getting the axiom pro is going overboard imo.

Hell you could save the $400-$500 and get ableton live. Rewire that with Reason, that's what I do and love it. Reason is basically like a giant VST for me and then you can also get more sounds later on.

Just my .02

Instead of an MBox I would look at some of the Presonus audio interfaces instead, especially since you want to get into recording vocals later. As for the mic, it depends on what kind of voice you'd be recording. I've found that the Audio Technica condensers sound really good if your vocals are more on the high-pitched side.

But your setup sounds looks good. Sampling is a lot easier in Reason 5 now based on the videos on their site. I'm still learning the details of Reason, but I have to say it's a really powerful program and we've created an entire album with Reason sounds alone.

Spending $500-$600 on a 1 midi controller when you're just starting out is kinda overboard imo. It's obviously his money but he could get an oxygen and an mpd with money to spare. Hell I went kinda overboard at the beginning too that's why I'm just giving my opinion. Save some money until you know what's actually going to speed up your workflow, etc so you spend your money on things that will help instead of just stuff that looks cool.

yah i feel yoou, im jus now getting into this and with so much equipment to choose from out there its a little overwhelming lol i just needa make this music. but yah jus digitally, no vinyl. n tha whole rewiring reason into ableton sounds like it would prolly be a good idea since those were tha 2 daw's i narrowed it down to. but what about tha audio interface, do most of them allow yoou 2 connect 2 midi controllers, like a mpd and keys? and a big thanks to everyone whos givin feedback i appreciate it.

but what about tha audio interface, do most of them allow yoou 2 connect 2 midi controllers, like a mpd and keys?.

Since most controllers hook up via USB anyway the interface doesn't have to allow anything.

Mboxes only make sense if Pro Tools is your DAW of choice, since the software is about half of what you're paying for...

yah i feel yoou, im jus now getting into this and with so much equipment to choose from out there its a little overwhelming lol i just needa make this music. but yah jus digitally, no vinyl. n tha whole rewiring reason into ableton sounds like it would prolly be a good idea since those were tha 2 daw's i narrowed it down to. but what about tha audio interface, do most of them allow yoou 2 connect 2 midi controllers, like a mpd and keys? and a big thanks to everyone whos givin feedback i appreciate it.

Yea, it's very overwhelming. I'm still at the very beginning stages of learning and I went through the whole equipment hype. I bought an axiom, mpd32, korg padkontrol and some other stuff. Now all I have is the Axiom after selling the other stuff because I realized I really didn't even use the other shit. Personally I would just get an oxygen 61 and spend the extra money elsewhere.

idk...

i've heard really good things about the pro and wish that i had of started out on that instead of an oxygen 8...

idk...

i've heard really good things about the pro and wish that i had of started out on that instead of an oxygen 8...

Really? I haven't heard anything bad about it but haven't heard anything great either. Haven't really researched it like crazy either though so yea...

Uhh i dont have anything yet, these are all plans for the near future. But wut about refills? Please tell me more im looking for as much information as i can before i get everything.

Just search for "refills" right here on FP. Won't do you much good until you get Reason up and running though.

Back