Got Fruity loops down, now what?

T

Timeless@15

I've been making beats with fruity loops for about a year in a half now and now i want to start making more professional beats. As of now i have a HP-62On(160GB,512MB,etc)I have 5.1 surrond sound. i have no soundcard (jus what the CPU came with), and don't know what i should buy first. I kno i need to get a sound card and keyboard and right now I'm working with about 500-600 dollars. What should I buy first, what brand, and then what to buy in the future. All advice is welcome. Thanks in advance.

Ill tell you now nobody is gonna tell you what to buy. First do some research on things like soundcards, samplers, keyboards/synthesizer, computer programs, monitors, etc. What kind of music do you make? Check out www.tweakheadz.com for more info. Drop me and pm when you can figure out some of these questions and I will help to the bes tof my ability. Hope this helps

Get some good mastering plugins like Izotope's Ozone (I recommend it to everyone haha).

Absolute_Zero said:
Get some good mastering plugins like Izotope's Ozone (I recommend it to everyone haha).

Yeah that^...or one of the Waves Bundles

You will...yes...really need to update your soundcard.
I recommend looking at the Emu 1820m..or if your budget is a bit tight...go for the M-Audio 1010
Those two cards are definately worth a look at!

i recomened the ozone mid control which has a buillt in interface and some goood monitors if u have surround sound that aint good for music

ay thanks for all the suggestions. Another question, do you all suggest getting the monitors before the keyboard? This may sound dumb but what makes monitors better than surround sound?

Timeless@15 said:
ay thanks for all the suggestions. Another question, do you all suggest getting the monitors before the keyboard? This may sound dumb but what makes monitors better than surround sound?

Don't qoute me on this because I may be wrong. But, I think the reasons that surround sound speakers are not as good as monitors are

(1) When doing music for the typical music listener to here you are createing a stereo image (left and right). That would equal 2 speakers (you could add a sub to that though equaling 2.1).

(2) When you are creating music you want as clear a picture of the sound that you are actually getting as you can get. The problem with creating music on regular home speakers or even Hi-fi systems is that these speaker "color" the music to make it sound better than it is. But, the way your speakers play the music you create doesn't useually translate into what other listeners with different systems will hear. For example, you may think that you mix is too bass heavy, but when listened to in another persons system You may not have enough bass.

Hope this helps (and I hope it is correct).

i used creative 5.1 b4 i copped the bx's and they didnt make a diff on how i herd my music threw my car threw my boys car and in a few cd players

o ok in that cas i'm gonna stick with the 5.1 for a while longer because i have the creative 5.1 too. For now i think i'm gonna focus on gettin a soundcard then keyboard then monitors. Thanks to you all and if any of you have any suggestions I still would love to hear them.

Back