compression: "gelling things together" ?

fn86

im not a beginner to compression, and i use it wisely and sparingly in my mixes. there is one phrase that always have had me wondered though, not that i dont understand that it actually does this, but in what way? im talking about compression "gelling things together", if applied to for example submixes and such things...i know that this is true cause i some times apply it on my submixes and final mix (of course very carefully)...but can some1 explain in other words/terms in what way compression actually gells things together? does squeezing the dynamic range of a submix meaning gelling it together? please drop some science on me

There really isn't a "scientific" explanation for "gelling" a mix... Certain compressors are very good at it, the vast majority are not. It's an almost intangible effect of very gently leveling a mix in a way that "puts everything in the same room" (for lack of a better term). It "softens the edges" of otherwise slightly disjointed sounds in the image. The important part (and why so few compressors are really up to the task) is that it's done without losing the focus between sounds -

Most compressors, especially when put on a buss, are either fairly linear and sterile in what they do, or very "squishy" - smearing the focus. They either lack "that something" or they may have far too much of it. There are a celebrated few that are on top of that game.

If you're looking for something with some "gellability" to it for ultra-mega-cheap, try an Art Pro VLA. It's an electro-optical leveling amplifier, very LA2A-ish although it has more traditional controls like a regular compressor. It's a bit thick though - Not a subtle thing like an OCL or a Variable Mu unit. Probably partially due to the VLA's rather high lowest setting of 2:1 (something along the lines of 1.1 or 1.25:1 would be a much better place to start - 2:1 is a lot when you're talking about buss compression).

Still, it's a handy unit to have and it does (over-does) what you're looking for to a point.

so i guess there aren't anything in the software domain that is powerfull in this aspect, i mainly use the waves reinassance compressor

but again, what im trying to learn is what effect compression actually has for "gelling together the sounds" in a explanation term, i would relly like to know what this meana

Something different than:

It's an almost intangible effect of very gently leveling a mix in a way that "puts everything in the same room" (for lack of a better term). It "softens the edges" of otherwise slightly disjointed sounds in the image.

?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back