Completely new to all of this.

Schwimmen27

Hi guys!
I'm completely new to all of this stuff.
Ever since I can remember, all I have wanted to do is make music. I have just been frustrated by not knowing where to start.
I love the idea of sampling things and mixing them in to songs.
I have a really really basic knowledge of pro tools but that's about it.
What gear will I need, starting from the tippy top. From computer, right down to headphones.
Any help will be greatly apriciated. Also let me know if you guys are on sound cloud and I'll hit you up on there!

What drives you to make music is the main thing to ask yourself as it is a costly endeavor and what you need, or don't, depends on what you are looking to accomplish. What genre(s) do you make?

Your have to make the discussion of whether are not you are using a mac / pc... I don't know your budget, but before I give you "MY SUGGESTIONS" note that it can be modified and i'll give you the best startup setup... With a pc / mac cpu the more cores it have are always the better that a single core cpu since your dealing with production software (amd can be used, but intel cpu's are way better at production type applications) you can check out the i series of cpus from intel... Vsti are ram hungry so make sure you have at least 8gb of ram more is better, but make sure you check before if the manufacturer as support for ram over this amount, seeing that were going into the future not backwards this is crucial in buy any laptop or desktop for any future improvement (vsti just want more power, but 8gb can be used)... "SSD's" will be a smart investment for your computers main boot disk and a external to save all your project files on...

Honestly mate, I have no idea, I am so new to all of this.
I love porter Robinson, Madeon, Martin Jensen.
I just need to know where to start. I come from 6
Years of being a drummer!

You will need a audio interface that has phantom power and at least two xlr combo jacks (xlr and 1/4 trs in one) and usb connection (note that the audio interface is the device that sends the output and input signal into your daw). 1/4 trs monitor speaker outputs from the audio interface to your daw is always best instead of regular rca jacks...

Honestly mate, I have no idea, I am so new to all of this.
I love porter Robinson, Madeon, Martin Jensen.
I just need to know where to start. I come from 6
Years of being a drummer!

If your a drummer and you want to record drums you will need @ least a 8 xlr combo jack interface... Note that the interface should be able to capture at 24bit...

If you what to sample the most simple program to do that in is "ableton live", Its an great piece of software and when you get more advance you can still use it and discover it hidden features...

So potentially;
A mac.
Ambleton live.
And a midi USB keyboard.

Is that a good way to start ?
Will I need anything gets else ?

Last edited:
It's best you prepare for it from now, but if your buget is low you can get one with two microphone inputs... Do you want some recommendations ?

Last edited:
Back