Can I do this?

Chainsaw Dave

Hi, I'm new to music production. I've been using a small home set up for a while with a laptop, midi keyboard etc. I want to start buying real euro rack compressors, equalisers and filters etc. How do I run the sound from my DAW into equipment in an actual rack, then back to the laptop DAW to record it? Does that make sense?!?

Are you actually talking about Eurorack (which is a specific modular synth format) or - no offense - are just using that term to describe rack equipment in general?

Basically (for the latter), you'll need a muiti i/o audio interface, and then simply take an output from the interface to the input of your compressor/filter/EQ. And vice versa - rack unit output back to a spare input on the interface. Then it's just a matter of figuring out how to route signals to those outgoing channels in your DAW & record the output from the processors onto new channels - most DAWs nowadays also have some kind of an "external processor" plugin, which basically makes the external processor behave like a plugin (so it's just sitting there in your fx chain, no xtra tracks needed) - but of course renders still need to happen in real time.

Back