Building a studio..(NEED HELPPP)

Lawlz

Ok so, what all should i buy? I'm willing to spend around 500 dollars on everything besides the mic.

Also what mic would you suggest i get?

Also if you know anybody that has the equipment your listing, do you mind linking me to the music? I'd love to hear how the quality can sound like.

EDIT:
I just plan on recording for rap vocals
And i use cool edit pro 2.0 (but might be willin to switch over to protools if there's some huge difference)

Last edited:
Don't know too much about pro-studio hardware but my Axiom 49 has never steered me wrong, and it doesn't cost much.

Man, that was out of nowhere. How is that a dumb question? He's just basically asking people to tell him about equipment they have used that was good for the money. And how is it vague? He specifically said a dollar amount and asked for an exact microphone model recommendation. That's not vague at all. Sheesh. :(

Don't know too much about pro-studio hardware but my Axiom 49 has never steered me wrong, and it doesn't cost much.

Thanks for the reply, that looks pretty nice..but I don't plan on making beats yet :cool:

Btw dsmitty347, If this isn't researching, then idk what researching is. I don't plan on buying exactly ANYTHING, only the things that have good feedback, and that i like..Don't act like you haven't started with questions also.

maaan, sorry if i was harsh... but honestly man, 500 buck can buy you anything...an interface is a nessesary part of a studio, but so is a turntable, a good mouse, and so is a comfortable chair, and a roast beef sandwich ya know what im sayin?

i guess i just wanted a more specific question, a starting point and some back ground on what you're actually trying to accomplish.

EDIT:
I just plan on recording for rap vocals
And i use cool edit pro 2.0 (but might be willin to switch over to protools if there's some huge difference)

Cool Edit Pro was the first software I used to record vocals. However it is old software and is lightyears behind Pro Tools, Presonus Studio 1, etc.

From what I've heard, Studio 1 has a similar workflow to Cool edit Pro.

If you've already got the mic covered, you will need an Audio Interface, Headphones, Monitors, and a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation).

Presonus Audiobox (comes with Studio 1 Artist) $150

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AudioBoxUSB/

Sennheiser HD 280 PRO Headphones $100

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HD280Pro/

Yamaha HS50M Monitors $400/pair

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HS50M/

Total $650.......... Thats $150 over your budget but it's worth it. If you can only really spend $500 you'll have to get a cheaper pair of Monitors, but you'll be selling yourself short.

sweetwater, zzounds.com, and americanmusical.com let you do 3 monthly payments with 0% Interest.

I agree with above. Another DAW would be a good start. Even if it means upgrading to Audition. I would recommend going with a full version of whatever software you choose though. I hate the typical limitations there. You can't even use 3rd party vst's other than the ones supplied in Studio One Artist which is sort of lame. But that doesn't really matter if you are importing your beats from somewhere else.

Don't sleep on stuff like Reaper. This will free up a lot of cash in you budget for the time being. I think Reaper is only $60.

If I had only $500 for a recording studio? Not production for all those people suggesting midi controllers to someone just looking to record vocals. LOL.

Get a M-Audio Fasttrack USB mkII $120, AT2035 $150, Pop filter $15, mic stand $20, mic cables $10, and some blankets room dampening. That will run you about $350 after taxes.

Next download Reaper to record with and try and find the Kjaerhus Classic plugins (website down) and you will have everything you need for tracking vocals.

Back