Any advice for a new record label?

On Target Records

Does anyone have any advice on how to start a record label?
I have recently founded a new record label called On Target Records and I am trying many strategies to get it of the floor.
I have connected my social media accounts and will try to make an official website site soon but I am have trouble with marketing..
Any help?? Thanks

Social media and websites and all the basic stuff is a good start. I think the main thing a lot of labels struggle with is not having much of a start up budget, you need to tour or get on tour with a major act to really get a supportive fanbase, there's only so much that can be done online, fans get connected much more to artists after seeing a good live event. I've been working with up and coming acts for almost 8 years now and the ones that I see make progress are the ones that invest wisely and travel as much as possible to events and out of states shows. Just like any business you got to make sure you have start up costs covered, just about every business costs a lot to keep running and the music business is no different.

Social media and websites and all the basic stuff is a good start. I think the main thing a lot of labels struggle with is not having much of a start up budget, you need to tour or get on tour with a major act to really get a supportive fanbase, there's only so much that can be done online, fans get connected much more to artists after seeing a good live event. I've been working with up and coming acts for almost 8 years now and the ones that I see make progress are the ones that invest wisely and travel as much as possible to events and out of states shows. Just like any business you got to make sure you have start up costs covered, just about every business costs a lot to keep running and the music business is no different.

Thanks for the great advice! Ive been trying to get the finances together but its a limited budget so far. I have also been trying to contact some independent artists.
What is the best way to get into contact with these acts?

ReverbNation.com is a good way to find artists, or just out at local events. Also another important thing is to make sure you find artists that have drive and dedication, talent isn't enough if the drive isn't there.

ReverbNation.com is a good way to find artists, or just out at local events. Also another important thing is to make sure you find artists that have drive and dedication, talent isn't enough if the drive isn't there.

Ok. I have a reverbnation and I will use it accordingly. Thanks!

100% man, talent is easy to find, dedication is where it's at.

I know a ton of "rappers", seldom come across ones with motivation to do gigs, shoot videos, release music regularly etc.

Good musicians are dime a dozen but I'd take an average musician with drive over a great musician any day.

RiFF RaFF is an excellent example, dude's a sub par rapper, but Lil' Debbie said he grinds harder than any rapper she's ever met.

And now dude is about to drop an album with guest spots from Drake, ASAP Rocky, Chief Keef etc. the biggest names in rap.

All off charisma and hustle, and you see people talking about him selling CD's at the mall back in the day, dude kept grinding and now he's doing it.

You can even look at Lil Wayne for that.

I'm not a huge fan, but the guy releases ****in 77 mix tapes a day. He's pretty much doing nothing but music and codeine.

I mean for christ sake, he Made an album in Jail

Last edited:
Now when you say started a label do you mean you offically have a business llc or scorp or just some facebook pages? If you want people to take you serious you need to have a website, business cards a registered name and be a real business.

Now when you say started a label do you mean you offically have a business llc or scorp or just some facebook pages? If you want people to take you serious you need to have a website, business cards a registered name and be a real business.

I am in the process of getting a website, business cards and registration, but I am currently trying to do the preliminary work on a limited budget.
Thank you for the advice!

You do understand that the "limited budget" is a killer for any kind of label.
If you said "What do I need to make MY OWN LABEL" and put put me and my boy's stuff?"

Then really, you can skip the label part and just put the record out.

Every label [either minor or major] is only 3 things.
1) A set amount of re$ource$ to invest in a project.
2) A set number of people to work behind a project.
3) Established relationships and connections usually built by previous experiences.

If you don't have an ace in one of those areas, I don't see the point and/or how you expect to succeed at any decent level.

Somewhere in this mix is a business plan.
And if you're hampered by cash-flow already......

You do understand that the "limited budget" is a killer for any kind of label.
If you said "What do I need to make MY OWN LABEL" and put put me and my boy's stuff?"

Then really, you can skip the label part and just put the record out.

Every label [either minor or major] is only 3 things.
1) A set amount of re$ource$ to invest in a project.
2) A set number of people to work behind a project.
3) Established relationships and connections usually built by previous experiences.

If you don't have an ace in one of those areas, I don't see the point and/or how you expect to succeed at any decent level.

Somewhere in this mix is a business plan.
And if you're hampered by cash-flow already......

Thank you very much for this post.

I have developed a business plan, but I am currently working on establishing connections and raiding funds.
I appreciate the advice and I am doing my best to meet the criteria.

Back