Acoustic Guitar Chords Vs Electric Guitar Chords

Xabiton

Cupcake God
Are there any differences? Or is the only difference in the 2 the sound themselves. Im looking into learning to play acoustic guitar.

both guitars are tuned the same way so chords will be played the same way on both. the only difference is the sound of the two instruments.

Chords will sound nicer on the acoustic in contrast to the electric due to the possible distortion and gain, or atleast IMO

Same chords, different sound. Some chords sound better on electric (power chords) and some sound better on acoustic (basic major chords). hope this helps

theres open chords, which leave some played strings unfretted. these generally sound better with a clean sound (acoustic or electric, just not distorted)except for E and A which really are kind of like power chords

for distorted guitar barre chords sound 'better' to most. a power chord is a type of barre chord where you only play the root, the fifth, and the octave root of the chord. so it isnt major or minor and can be used in either context. but the most important thing about it is that only using the root and fifth creates better harmony when its distorted a lot.

you can play different types of barre chords other than a power chord. like major, minor, seventh, etc etc but again, while they sound better than open chords on a distorted guitar, they arent up to power chords level of 'rockness' if that makes sense hehe

if you wanna play rhythm just use less gain to make a kind of crunch sound (like jimi hendrix' tone or cleaner) and it will sound ok with open chords and the like...

thehood.co.uk said:
theres open chords, which leave some played strings unfretted. these generally sound better with a clean sound (acoustic or electric, just not distorted)except for E and A which really are kind of like power chords

for distorted guitar barre chords sound 'better' to most. a power chord is a type of barre chord where you only play the root, the fifth, and the octave root of the chord. so it isnt major or minor and can be used in either context. but the most important thing about it is that only using the root and fifth creates better harmony when its distorted a lot.

you can play different types of barre chords other than a power chord. like major, minor, seventh, etc etc but again, while they sound better than open chords on a distorted guitar, they arent up to power chords level of 'rockness' if that makes sense hehe

if you wanna play rhythm just use less gain to make a kind of crunch sound (like jimi hendrix' tone or cleaner) and it will sound ok with open chords and the like...

Agreed. Lets not forget that barre chords are sometimes 'easier' when playing rock music. Especially punk. You can move quickly without changing chord shapes. In fact, thats why people use barre chords. I dont care about barre chords too much myself, but I do use them. I find open chords are great for finger picking (and easier IMO) and for acoustic songs (like others have said).

-Geoffrey

Back