5 beatmaking tips for beginners

thebeathouse

this is from my new blog http://thebeathouse.blogspot.com/

5 beatmaking tips for beginners

here are five tips to help beginners get on the path to becoming better beatmakers (written by "The Beat House")

1. find someone or something to learn from
a great way to learn something is to watch and learn from people who are already achieving the results you desire. try to make use of any friends, contacts, interviews, videos, websites etc. where you can learn from other skilled producers.

2. pick your main production equipment and master it
this is very important as a lot of up and coming beatmakers waste a lot of time jumping around from program to program. my advice is to choose one piece of production equipment and stick with it for at least 6 months (or longer). this will really hep you to learn and grow as a beatmaker. keep in mind that a lot of great producers use inexpensive production programs like 9th Wonder (a well known FL Studio user) and DJ Babu (Reason user) so you don't necessarily need the latest and greatest (and usually most expensive) tools, especially when you're first starting out.

(note: FL Studio is an excellent beatmaking program that I recommend highly. You can purchase FL Studio AND get a 10% discount by clicking HERE now)

3. train your ears
listen closely to music you enjoy and pay attention to the sounds and instruments that are used in songs and also try and notice what things make these songs really work. you may find that often it's the most simple beats that are the most effective or you may notice how many different ways hi-hats can be used to assist songs etc. keep listening and keep learning

4. master the beatmaking fundamentals
pay particular attention to make sure you have a good understanding and are continually improving on the fundamentals of beatmaking including;
- drums
- basslines
- melodies
- song arrangement
- effects
- mixing
more

5. make lots of beats and learn from each one
get into the habit of regularly making beats and an important addition to this is to also make sure you learn something from each beat you make (whether that be a new technique or noticing an area you need to improve on or anything else that helps you get better).

:cheers:

Last edited:
i definitely liked this post...This is the kind of help I look for all over the place, but never get it... You answered alot of questions with just one post...thanks

good post man thats a true testimony cuz when you get in the habbit of making beats regular an critizing your beats you find that you will push your self to do things different and find new ways of doing things

I would say 5 beats tips is learning how to read bars at any bpm...knowing when 16 bars at 85, 160 and higher tempos

Drum Programing always setting your snares at 5 and 13 at slow tempos and 9 and 25 at fast tempos

and mixing the sounds you use to make sure nothing over shadows another sound

Last edited:
i think listen to alot of famous producers and disecting their beats by listening to the diff sound is very helpful it helped me heaps

-TP- said:
I would say 5 beats tips is learning how to read bars at any bpm...knowing when 16 bars at 85, 160 and higher tempos

Drum Programing always setting your snares at 5 and 13 at slow tempos and 9 and 25 at fast tempos

That is something of interest to me and a skill I lack. I am no expert, but I am far from a newcomer. I have helped others, but even teachers are forever students.

What direction, website, book, do you recommend for me to master the principles you talked about?

Notable said:
That is something of interest to me and a skill I lack. I am no expert, but I am far from a newcomer. I have helped others, but even teachers are forever students.

What direction, website, book, do you recommend for me to master the principles you talked about?

I learned this withut read books, as for websites this one..

As for BPM's
I downloaded mixmiester and and what ever songs I had that had the same tempo and speed I liked my beats I wrote them down I took 36 mafia, Bone Thugs, and some chicago artist tracks and got their BPM and went to my program and turned on the metrnome and listen to 4 bars until I got use to it.....

then for beats done in double time I just double the bars and tempo and listened to it.. 4bars = 8 bars in double time

as for mixing I just level the instruments and drums so all of them bang without overshadowing eachother

I haven't made a beat yet, i'm just trying to lean the basics but once I get back from the military I will get some equipment and get cubase and start making beats

-TP- said:

i would like to understand dis as well .. i been goin by ear but it seems dat its a lil diff. here and there

oh and ya good thread lol at da fl loops commision haha

Last edited:
Great article thanks for the tips. U guys should get more vid's on here, that'd be most apprieciated.

Back