16,really interested in hip hop music production.

Loon23

Hi friends,
I am 16 year old.I have become very interested in hip hop music.I have a 3 month vacation.I really want to learn how to make beats but I am 0.I have absolutely no knowledge about music making.Can anyone guide cause I am not able find any useful info on net.And yes due to some reasons I can't buy myself music equipments like piano etc.Please help me.

In that case you're gonna need reaper or zynewave podium.
Midi devices like pianos are an option btw. I wouldn't advise getting any midi device without an audio interface, there'll be lag.
[Speaking of which, offtopic lowkey curious about those zerolatency solutions]
Wikipedia has almost all you need to know.

You can also "demo" paid software but keep in mind that's not ideal. fl studio's a pretty good starting point as it has a step sequencer, those are digital drum machines. Some daws allow you to use your keyboard as a drumming tool as well, but if you want to try out pads then there's some extremely cheap nanopads/lpd8 on various sites as a starting point. always use asio4all.

Last edited:
Steps on Making Beats/Music:

1. Learn basic Music Theory.
Type on google or youtube "Basic Music Theory Scales & Modes"

2. Choose your personal DAW (Digital Audio Workstation)
Examples are Ableton Live, Fruity Loops, Reason, Reaper.

3. Learn to use your DAW.
Search google or youtube or if you want to learn the premium way go to sonic academy, Lynda or any online training school that you can buy a specific course. lets say you choose ABLETON LIVE as your DAW. go to LYNDA and buy the "ABLETON LIVE ESSENTIALS" so you can learn all about your DAW.

4. Learn about Compression, Reverb, distortion, delays.
Again search for youtube videos explaining how this plug ins really work.

5. Choose your genre.
choose what sound you love and go and search how to create that, example if you want to make hiphop, go and search how to make hiphop beat on Ableton. Then start doing it.

6. Take all that knowledge and start making beats.

I Hope this helps, Good Luck Loon23

I'm also 16 and interested in hip hop. For learning music theory, I suggest musictheory.net as that is the site I am using. My brother recommended that site to me, and I've found it very useful. I'm still learning, but it's a very good site. Best of luck to you!

Thanks oxgaz,but will musical instruments like piano,guitar prove useful?
Of course, you will learn ghe foundation and application of melody and harmony-the nuts and bolts of music and how it works. But, it all depends on you and whether you stick with it.

I have a few SUGGESTIONS and Options.

The first is if you have money, to get an "AUDIO INTERFACE". Like from Sweetwater with free help on setup.

With the righ audio interface you can receieve a free "Lite" version of a DAW. A DAW is a Digital Audio Workstation. Mkaes music in other words.

If you want you can get a midi keyboard too. But in my opinion just put your money into an Audio Interface and use your computer keyboard as a keyboard. Which it can be used.

Back